16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Recondition Rem black 2 1/2” hulls
silverbowff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 am  Reply with quote

My fired 2 1/2” Rem black hulls are very stiff in the roll crimp area. Is there a method to soften and expand the hull mouth? Thanks, Jim

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:55 am  Reply with quote

May I suggest the HARTIN crimp. Use regular dies but add an overshot card.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:51 am  Reply with quote

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

FWIW, I agree with the Hartin crimp idea......Trying to iron out a hull mouth is a lot like herding cats.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Ironing out hull mouths of shells like the RGL that don't open fully on firing --

Is this really a big deal? I know hulls will do this. RGLs are not the only ones. Yes, RGLs seem to do it worse than others. However, careful use of the reloading tool gets around this issue. Yes, if you are dedicated to using a progressive reloader and do not want to have to pay attention to details of the hull, you will have problems. After all, higher production rates are what progressive reloading systems are all about, so an easier hull to deal with is probably a better candidate for them.

If, on the other hand, you use a non-progressive, like a 600 Jr. or other MEC single-stage unit, or probably the single-stage P-Ws or Pacific or Hornady 266's, it isn't much of a problem to reliably get stuff into the RGL. Careful, understanding usage of the punches used during depriming/resizing and re-priming, and the wad guide during the powder throw and wad insertion, does the job. All of this can still be done on a progressive reloader, although at a slower pace, of course.

So one has his choices: If such attention to hull characteristics is intolerable, throw out the hull, as MSM2019 has advised, or pass it on. With reasonable care RGLs make handsome and very carry-resistant re-loads - several times.

Reloading is a rewarding and enjoyable task in itself. It is another craft related to our naturalistic bent, similar in many respects to fly-tying or the training of a gun dog -- it is personal; you can do it your way - it's your "stuff". In fact, that's why the Ammunition & Reloading section is one of the most interesting branches of this forum. If reloading becomes a mere chore and source of frustration and becomes perceived as a poor use of time, we must find ways around it. And don't let the naysayers prevent you from trying something.

To finalize, I think the RGL issues have had more than their fair share of negative attention. In fact, the RGL is not much of a problem, if any. In fact they are offer a great introduction to the new reloader: First, they look almost as nice as new when reloaded, and Second, they introduce the person doing the reloading to issues to which he/she should be paying attention in any hull.

Best Wishes in Your Reloading . . . and all else of course,
Tony

silverbowff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I’ve been reloading for nearly fifty years but I am new to trimming and roll crimping. My problem is related to loading for the second time hulls that have been roll crimped. It probably makes sense to just chuck them in the recycle bin.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
win7stw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Ballistic products spin doctor

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

I must agree with Maximum Smoke. I haveso many different brands of hulls and love to work a way to make them be useful. I do roll crimp from time to time for nostalgia reasons. The Harlan crimp also. Just remember if not success first tim try they again.theirs many combinations and you will feel great appreciation when you figured it out.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

silverbowff,

When are you trimming and roll crimping a Remington hull? That is usually left to the last reload on the RGL....reload it as many times as you can fold crimping and then trim, roll crimp, fire and toss.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Mark, I think your assessment is the best use of those hulls. I was being too frugal and trying to get another loading after the first roll crimping. I generally reload until the folds don’t take a crimp, then trim and roll. Thanks to all for the feedback. Jim

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:48 am  Reply with quote

My 12ga loader is right next to the 16 , so relatively easy to stick the 16's in the 12ga primer station and stretch them out some .

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Tony too. But I only load 16s on a Sizemaster. Never any problem getting wads to seat or anything else but I throw them if there's a tear in a fold that goes below the crimpline. Pickier if talking hunting loads.