16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Which new 16 ?
probie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

I'm preparing for the worse. I may have to consider replacing an old SxS. I want another SxS . At 70 i'm really not keen on anything above 2k. I've found 3 in that price range to consider; i'm leaning towards the Tristar Bristol. The Fair Iside and the CZ are contenders. i've read of late some bad reviews about CZ customer service and their not wanting to fix anything anymore; one disgruntled review called it a throwaway. I might consider a used but then concerned about getting someone else's pita.
Anyone care to comment and set me towards a possible purchase; thanks.
silverbowff
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have the FAIR ISIDE EM 16, Dickinson Estate 20, FAIR ISIDE Prestige 28 and Tristar Bristol .410. The FAIR ISIDEs are well made, balanced and have performed flawlessly for over two years. The Turkish guns function properly and get less time in the field or at the shooting games but have not failed in any function. Their fit and finish are better than expected at their price point. If I were to replace the Turkish guns it would be with FAIR ISIDEs.
By the way I’m pushing 78.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

I will offer some observations from our club staff when I inquired on that topic. We have over 500 members, throw 1.2 million targets yearly, and sponsor a very active and competitive (and successful) Junior Team, as well as renting shotguns which get extreme use and are auctioned off at years end and are highly sought after.

Our shotguns are 12 ga CZ O/U models. As mentioned, they are used constantly and hard. The staff is extremely pleased with their reliability and performance. They are also highly complimentary on the support provided by CZ USA. They also report that the auction purchasers have been very satisfied with their guns. All in all, a very positive report and high degree of satisfaction.

I myself have used the CZs on occasion at meets out of necessity when my guns failed, and I found them perfectly fine, kind of a very neutral well balanced decent gun.

Regarding TriStar, there are many users at the club, and they are popular with some of the juniors (those kids really put us to shame in the meets). The report on TriStars is they perform extremely well (right up there with the Ks and Ps) for the price. But they DO break, and when they break, parts and service can be hard to obtain.

That’s as much as I can relate at this time.

V/R
B.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:27 am  Reply with quote

The Upland Gun Company Zeus 16 ga in it's basic form sells for $1999. That is a traditional English stock, double trigger, splinter forend gun. It will probably be a bit lighter than your other choices. I have a 16 ga Zeus optioned up to a $4000 gun and built on a 20 ga frame that is my lightest i6 ga with POW stock, slim semi-beavertail forend and a bunch of other options to suit my tastes that weighs in at 6 pounds 3 ounces. It has taken over as my favorite bird gun as it is a delight to carry and I shoot it well. Last week for the last preserve hunt of the season I took a neighbor lady who has admired my bird dogs out for a mix of chukar and quail. She claimed to be a hunter, and she was safe, but never hit a bird. I had the preserve plant the birds in pairs and shot more doubles than I think I had in my entire bird hunting career. Thanks to that quick handling and straight shooting Zeus, we came back with all 6 chukars and 10 quail, although I will admit we hunted several birds twice.

I just purchased a TriStar Bristol Silver 16 ga and the biggest disappointment with the gun was that it weighs 7 pounds 3 ounces instead of the TriStar claim of 6 1/2 pounds. The basic Bristol with the case coloring, English stock and splinter forend would probably be lighter, but I doubt it will make the 6 1/2 pounds that ic claimed.

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I have the FAIR Iside, dont shoot it much as I have been using merkel sxs when shooting sxs's, but have no complaints.
Dont care for CZ
Tri-star in same class
Dont know anything about the Upland guns, Italian?
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:

Dont know anything about the Upland guns, Italian?

Italian, made by RFM.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:38 am  Reply with quote

With no experience on any of the three mentioned by the OP and purely going off of others reviews (both positive and negative), I'd buy the FAIR over the two turkish guns. (I have a Tri-Star Viper G2 Bronze semi-auto that I really like, so not totally a Turkish snob).

Dad has a Dickinson 16 that has been his main shotgun for about the last 10 years and he likes it a lot.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

The TriStar would be hard pressed to beat for the money.They seem to be as reliable as a higher end gun.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Would you consider something on the used market? If it were me, I might look for a vintage 16 gauge L.C. Smith field model or perhaps a Fox Sterlingworth 16 at that price point.
probie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Not unless it was local & i had it in my hand, and even then i have no experience with those guns. Wouldn't know what to look for; wouldn't want someone else's problem...