16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How I save money...musings on gun lust
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Been mining the archives here on powder performance. Came across a post on the Southern Side by Side. Boy, would I like to go. Oh, they have a separate division for 16 ga...my kind of folks! But you must have an American made gun. I've got a couple of those, but nothing I would compete with...yet. But what would it take if I wanted to go today...

I peruse gunbroker, guns international, guns america. Most of the prices are inflated, but there's a couple of deals. A Philly Fox weighing 5.15 lbs...I don't care if the stock isn't original, that's almost as light as my 20 ga Mod 37! A number of LC Smiths, always wanted one. A couple of Bakers, boy, that would be cool. Some NIDs and a few Flues...now we're talking! Oh wait, here's a Sears AYA...not American, but man that would be a fun gun.

I begin to realize that I need more contact with the 16 ga guns I have...off to the locker!

I pull out the Stoeger imported Zephyr Uplander. My newest gun, I fixed the cracks in the stock, just need to refinish it. A true sidelock from V Sarasqueta that had been neglected for probably decades, as the double triggers were sticky until I cleaned it. I had cleaned it up before grouse season to use as the back-up gun to the Citori. She mounts like a lighter gun. I pull out the scale: 8 lbs almost even. How does a gun so heavy feel so lively? This gun was made for me, with barrels in cm corresponding to my birth year. There is even some Basque in my heritage. Someone before me put in removable chokes, skeet & IC, IIRC...thank you!

Next is the Crescent New Empire. Made in Norwich, Conn. I went to school in Norwich off and on. My wife's family probably had something to do with either it's manufacture or delivery. I have yet to disassemble it, but it has sideplates and looks to be a true sidelock. The barrels converge and touch at the muzzle end, just below a half brass/half ivory bead. 7 lbs on the scale. The wood is slightly proud, the case coloring still prevalent. Probably not someone's best gun so it sat in the closet. The lacquer is still fresh looking. I don't care if it's not an LC, it looks & feels good, and both triggers work nicely. Someday I'll open her up and clean the mechanisms.

The Crescent reminds me of the Grade 6 Citori. I have now fired this gun more than any other, thanks to joining the skeet league. Somewhere around 5000 rounds this season alone. Husqvarna work gloves are cheap & protect her from hand abuse, though they have worn the gold trigger on the right side to the chrome underneath. 7 lbs even on the scale. She is still beautiful.

I feel around in the locker, something is missing. Oh yes, I put the baby in the other locker. The Flues...Ah! the Flues! She complains as I work her action, but she's compliant today. She has not been fired in about 20 years, I bought the Citori to replace her. She turned 100 2 years ago. Now that the kids are out of school, she will be higher on the priority to be fixed, but from then on it will be 3/4 and 7/8 loads for woodcock and cooperative grouse...promise. On her last outing I chased a grouse into the thick stuff. I fired at the flush, missed, and when I reloaded I felt something different. On the second flush, I missed again, and then she definitely was now not the same gun as when I walked into the cover. But she still flies up to the shoulder. 6.75 lbs on the scale. But she was not my first grouse gun...

My first grouse gun was a Ward's Western Field Deluxe, SB 530, the frankenstein gun. I made her out of 2 16's I bought from a guy in NY. The first barrel was dented near the muzzle, so I sawed it off. Wide open chokes to say the least. The other set of barrels fit rather well, 28" Mod & Full. Single trigger. Safety does not work. But she smacked down a number of grouse & woodcock alongside the Willi. 6.8 lbs on the scale with the open barrels.

Just before the Zephyr, I bought another Stevens gun, a 311. Double triggers, very clubby, 8 lbs on the scale. Plenty of case color but I think I will have this one cerakoted in camo for rainy day ducks to save the Citori.

The Citori has been my number one for the past 20 years after the Flues became ill. Her barrel is worn from brush, but nothing a swipe of oil won't hide. The left side of her grip is worn nearly smooth from my vest. The gold of the "White Lightning" has been worn off from the countless miles we have traveled together chasing grouse, woodcock, ducks & the occasional goose flock. There's no hiding the battle scars, she is who she is. She developed a crack in her wrist after I hunted in a thunderstorm for woodies, so she will be going to a doctor this year in hopes of keeping her huntworthy, & hopefully take the place of the Gr 6 on the skeet field. 6.7 lbs on the scale.

I guess this is my way of counting my blessings...

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

+1 . . . Hell, +2! Good Post!

Barnyard Drake
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading that.

And that's one of the main reasons for collecting guns. They're like old friends who rarely complain and are always ready to go somewhere.

To think about where it's been before I bought/got it and the trips and adventures we've shared along the way. And the one we're going on tomorrow.

Anti's just don't get it.

With my eyes and coordination failing little by little as I get older, I'd take a shotgun for home defense over a pistola any day!

BD

LC Smith Field
Winchester 1200
Fox Sterlingworth
AYA
I'd rather be using one of them right now.