16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Testing Loads ?
TripleH
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:48 am  Reply with quote

Who/how do you all use to test load pressures? Are you able to just send a handful of loaded shells without much hassle?

I loaded several flats over the winter of 1oz GD loads and after reading all the concerns in recent posts I’m now hesitant to start shooting them…even though I’ve shot this load without issue for a while. Was thinking of sending in 20 or so from various batches…..

Thanks I’m advance for any information.
Jta5er
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:02 am  Reply with quote

Courtesy of others here:
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 am Reply with quote

Here is Tom Armbrust's information, he will test the loads for you:

Tom Armbrust Ballistic Research 1108 W. May Ave McHenry, IL 60050-8918.
Ph #815.385.0037

or,

Here is the link for Precision Reloading LLC, they will also test the loads for you.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=1

However what fn16ga said is true, buy another lot# of the same ammo and the game will probably change. If you are looking for chamber pressures below 8,000 PSI, I'd save my money. You'd have a better chance of finding a unicorn.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:13 am  Reply with quote

TripleH,

Send 5 shells from each different batch IF there is something different about each batch. If they all use the same components with the primers and powders having the same lot numbers, send 5 shells or 10 if that would make you feel more certain. Do not send less than 5 from each batch because the data is taken as averages and not individual shells.

The loads have to be sent thru UPS, FedEx or Speedee Delivery. The post office can't/won't deliver live ammunition. There are no extra fees for loaded ammunition. You will need this label for the outside of the box, which you can download online and print. It's approximately 4" x 4"

TripleH
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks gents.

Believe the loads are the same aside from 1 grain of powder I went with in the rounds I loaded for clays vs. skeet.

I’ll send 5 of each. I’m not chasing 8,000 psi - just want to feel ok with them after recent reading on 1oz Green Dot loads….

Want to say it was 1oz, sg16 wad, ched primer, ched (old herters) hull, then 16.5 and 17.5 of Green Dot. I’d pulled it off the spreadsheets…
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

You will be fine with that load and 16.5 or 17.5 gr. of the new green lid green dot. Herters are Cheddite hulls.

Ched\Ched SG16-

The older green dot is ~ a full grain more to achieve the same results. The spreadsheets are most likely the older green dot and is obviously still valid with black lid green dot.
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:20 am  Reply with quote

So black lid is the newer stuff, I had thought it was the other way around.

The printout I was using off the spreadsheets with those components listed pressure at like 8,400 with 18 grains with 1165 velocity so I think I bumped it up a tick to 18.5……which looks like it’s really close to no goodsville…..
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 am  Reply with quote

TripleH,

With the variability of 1 oz. loads using Green Dot, I would send them in and see what happens. To me the color of the cap means little. The Green Dot debate started about 20 years ago with it's fitness for use in the small gauges for standard target loads. It started when folks were cracking Briley 20 gauge tube sets.

Most folks reload a little different then the next person, sometimes it means a little, sometimes it means a lot.

You will spend a lot of time disassembling loads, and destroy a lot of hulls and what if the loads you have are OK?

Weigh your options before deciding, without proof, that your loads are over MAP.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
So black lid is the newer stuff, I had thought it was the other way around.

The printout I was using off the spreadsheets with those components listed pressure at like 8,400 with 18 grains with 1165 velocity so I think I bumped it up a tick to 18.5……which looks like it’s really close to no goodsville…..

No you have it right the green lid is the newer stuff that was announced in 2017 or 18. It was at least 2019 or later before it showed up on the shelves and slowly trickled in. Alliant said there was no change in reloading data but many have been able to prove that is "hotter". That is a fact and it is repeatable and reproducible.

The spreadsheets were archived in 2019 and most of that data is the older Green Dot.

But this isn't the first time Alliant has done this. They changed Green Dot back in 2007 to make it cleaner burning etc. That is when 20 ga. tubes started cracking with Green Dot. It was higher pressure than the GD before that.

So in the last 16 years Alliant has changed it twice, taking into consideration the previous version of Green Dot that is 3 different versions in the last 20 years.

At least they finally made it easy on us. If it is the Green lid it is going to be the highest pressure and velocity of them all. What you took off the spreadsheet was likely the oldest version.

If you contact Precision they will give you 16 ga. data that they tested in 2019. With the version of Green Dot prior to the new Green lid.

The top row is from that data sheet. Black lid Green Dot.
The middle row is from jim18611865 that Tom Armbrust tested. New Green Lid.
The bottom row is from me that I had Precision test. New Green Lid.
All the same load with the exception that Jim only loaded 15/16 oz. of shot.

If you are using the new green lid GD those 18.5 gr. loads are going to be most likely overpressure or close to it. You can certainly send them in and add to the data set.
TripleH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I’ll be sending some of these in and will post results when I get them back.