16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  3” 16 gauge shell picture?
lbrown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have a copy of the 1940 Shooters Bible which pretty much lists all the shotgun shells made in the US back then. No 3" 16s. And the 2 3/4" 16s were badly outnumbered by 2 9/16".

The story on chamber length is that all the American gun makers did not change to 2 3/4" at the same time. Nor did individual gun makers change all their gauges to 2 3/4" at the same time. They sort of promoted mass confusion.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

lBrown,

I do not know about mass confusion, however even today when a sportsman asks me about the Chamber length on his Classic American double gun, I tell them the only way to know the Chamber length for sure is to measure their Classic American guns Chambers with a good Chamber gauge. I advise them to purchase a Brass CSMC Chamber Gauge and measure each and every one of the Classic American guns chambers for them selves. The CSMC Chamber Gauges are accurate and professionally made.

It is true that all the different Chamber sizes for all the American Gun Companies were changed on an individual company basis for each gauge gun, and many of the Chamber Sizes were special ordered even after many of the Companies had started to use the 2 3/4" Chambers as pretty much of a standard. Although L.C. Smith had made the 12 gauge guns with 2 3/4" Chambers for many years prior to changing the chambers on their 16 and 20 gauge double guns, never take any Chamber size for granted, always measure the individual guns Chambers to assure you are using the correct size shells in the gun you have purchase.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers