16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Soft case for AYA SxS?
Chaplain Dave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All:

I'm asking for suggestions in choosing a full-length soft case for my new-to-me 16 ga AYA SxS. I'll use it mainly for transport to, between and from hunting spots. I'm leaning toward the Boyt Plantation or the Bob Allen Hunter (also made by Boyt). My only concern is that the muzzle end of either case appears narrow. (I also read a review by an O/U owner, who wrote he had to "force" his barrels into the narrow end of the Boyt, ripping the lining.)

I've seen these on the Internet only, so it's impossible to judge the fit. So, do any of you have either of these cases? If so, how are they working for your SxS?Thanks

Dave
Jta5er
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:55 pm  Reply with quote

The full length saddle leather cases really do th best at protecting your gun. They are expensive but sometimes you can get lucky on eBay. A good one will last a couple generations.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I use Boyt canvas sleeves/cases all the time for my doubles, etc. when hunting. Tight fit? You do want to have the gun firmly "packaged", and not loose and jangling around wearing its finish. If you put the gun in the case carefully (watch out for those damned metal zippers) you will have no problem with the lining. Older Boyts have a thick felt lining. I don't like those as much. That lining tends to catch barrel beads and rifle front sights a bit more, and seems to hold moisture better (I should say "worse", as moisture stays longer). Boyts seem to do a very good job with "side impact" protection -- think about getting stacked with somebody's autoloader with a projecting operating rod. A Boyt will do OK with that, but it's better to just stay away from autoloaders . . . . Wink well, you know what I mean . . .

I really like SKB soft canvas takedown cases -- one compartment for the barrels and another for the buttstock and frame. Really nice lining, very moisture resisting inside and out, rugged plastic non-scratching zipper. The gun parts are a little loose, but the case packs so nice and short and flat and the gun is well protected from side impacts and stacking with other cases/guns. I cannot find enough of these cases. I only have two. They are barrel length specific. On a hunt, I typically take more than one gun, so if I use the gun from the SKB case, I'll take it out for the day, assemble it and put it in a long Boyt case so it is one piece when I want to get at it quickly. I take down the other gun and put it in the SKB case.

The upshot? Use a Boyt, and look for an SKB. If you have an SKB soft break-down case you can part with, PM me. I don't have any leather cases, but I'm sure those will be even better for your gun, but might be a little bit less compact than a Boyt. Dense wool shearling linings baby your guns -- pure luxury!

Cheers!

Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

My Sarasqueta came in a wool lined leather sleeve. It is very luxurious and I’m almost afraid to use it!

Chaplain Dave
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a Boyt Deluxe Plantation case. Should be delivered later next week.

"Got one in the back," the shop owner said. Then he disappeared, only to return with an as-new Belgian Browning Sweet 16, 26-inch barrel, improved cylinder--exactly what I had told him. Still one of the best days ever.