16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Update on 1962 Standard Sixteen!!
bird buster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sad Well, I was able to slip off today and look at the Standard Sixteen. I took my digital fish scale with me to weigh it and it weighed 7lbs 8oz. with a 26" plain barrel. I also took my Japan tubed barrel with me to make sure it would fit and no problem. I really liked the gun because even though it was the same weight as my Japan Sweet 16 it felt lighter due to the slightly thinner forearm and less dense wood on stock. I am sure the plain barrel made it feel more light out front also. It was an inproved barrel so I was ready to deal. The wood was the light blonde color with alot of hunting marks but no gouges. The wood was rather plain with hardly any figure. The forearm had one repaired crack at the rear. The bluing on the receiver was really worn. It was in good mechanical shape but not a looker. I would rate it overall at about 85% I was okay with this since it was to be a rabbit getter. They wanted $690.00 for the gun which I knew was high for its' condition. I offered 600.00 and they countered at 675.00. I returned with 640.00 and they refused. My offer was more than reasonable so I will look further.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

One thing that I've learned collecting guns... the deal of a lifetime isn't. If you're patient, another deal will pop up.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

I can understand why weight of any given gun can be important but bringing a scale to weigh up a brush gun? I'm sorry but a couple ounces +/- ain't gonna sway me if I want a gun bad enough.

I'm sorry the deal fell through for you and you'll find what you want eventually - keep looking and best of luck

With Dad being rejuvinated into hunting and shooting again, I'm keeping my eyes open for A-5 in 16. He's coming in on 80 years old and teaching him a new bird is enough, no need to frustrate him with a new gun too.

GAWD - is Feb over yet? I need to get outdoors...
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:49 am  Reply with quote

You did the right thing. Your only real leverage is being able to walk away. Do it politely even if the guy feels you lowballed and leave your contact information.

I bought my first Sweet Sixteen for 60% of the asking price by sending a note to the seller every couple of months reminding him of the true value of his gun and my offer. He took me up on it 6 mos after my initial contact.

Patience is a powerful lever.

Jeff