16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Tristar Viper 16ga
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:15 am  Reply with quote

If you own one what model ? , how do you like it? Any issues? And if you could how much does it weigh?

Thanks
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

G2-AWESOME wood-will reliably digest 3/4 oz. loads.
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a 16 ga G2 Pro Friday. Took it to the club today. Didn't get to shoot it much, rain ran us in. It shot 7/8 oz reloads fine. Got a 410 and 28 too. Been great guns for the money.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:24 am  Reply with quote

By model , Black or Bronze receiver.

I am thinking the model the with Black receiver will be lighter weight because the wood on those have less figure and should be lighter (less dense)

Anybody that has the ability to weigh your gun, I would greatly appreciate it.
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

I am thinking the model the with Black receiver will be lighter weight because the wood on those have less figure and should be lighter (less dense)

All of mine are G2 bronze guns. I would be willing to bet ,you can't tell much difference in weight because of wood.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 am  Reply with quote

DUKFVR wrote:
fn16ga wrote:

All of mine are G2 bronze guns. I would be willing to bet ,you can't tell much difference in weight because of wood.

That may be so, have you ever put yours on scale?
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:38 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
[quote="DUKFVR"
That may be so, have you ever put yours on scale?

No I haven't.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

G2 Bronze, only ~500 rounds though it. Cleaned it when I first got it haven't done so since and likely does need another good cleaning.

Started it off on a diet of heavy 1 1/8 oz. 1300 fps factory shells. Shoot it extremely well but being 16 ga. hulls conditions have to be right for me to have them hit the deck. Last summer ran a couple hundred Herters (I don't cry when those hulls hit the ground) loaded pretty stiff with 1 oz. No problem. Last round of 5 stand used factory Federal 1165 1 oz. and had 2 failure to eject. Time to clean it and see how it does this year now that the snow is gone.

Tristar website lists the weight as 6.6 pounds for the Bronze which is 6 pounds 9.6 oz. Mine weighs 6 pounds 9.3 oz so I would say they are dead nuts on. The regular G2 Wood is listed at 6.5 pounds which is 1.5 oz lighter. I would think that is likely dead nuts as well. If you can find a Bronze with wood that you like don't let that stop you. You will not be able to tell the difference in 1.5 oz. even carrying all day.

For the heck of it threw my A5 Sweet 16 that Briley chopped the barrel to 23" and UncleDanFan reshaped the grip to the way Browning should have. 5 pounds 10.5 oz. Easy enough to tell which SA is my hunting gun and the other a clays gun.

6.6 pounds is light for a clays gun but I can shoot those zippy 1 oz. shells through it with almost no felt recoil and I am recoil sensitive. And that is with the factory recoil pad. If a 30" barrel was available for it good chance it could replace my Cordoba (SuperSport hunting version) for clays. It is fast and seeks the targets well even with a 28" bbl. For me.

I feel it is a lot of gun for the money.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, Great info, thank you!
Cheesy
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

I do not have a 16, but do have a 20 Bronze. I really like it.

Wood is pretty plain to be the 'upgrade' compared to some others I've seen. Have shot many limits of doves and shot it for one limit plus a few more of South Dakota roosters this year.

The trigger was 7.75 lbs. I bought the mCarbo spring many report as cutting the weight in half. Maybe they really meant it cuts it by a half pound, because it only dropped it to 7.25 lbs. Someday I'll send it out to Precision Sports ( I think that is who I see mentioned for trigger jobs on them, $75 and a few day turn time)

The main spring (that works the action) on mine broke after maybe 500 rounds. They had one delivered (to my bro in law who was actually borrowing it for my niece at the time) in 2 days. The gun still functioned just fine, he just saw it was broke in half when he pulled the foreend off for cleaning. They through in a spare magazine spring for good measure.

I very likely will buy a 28 or a 16 to go with it, I like it a lot. I bought it with a lifetime warranty from Bud's for $29 extra dollars. If Tri-Star or Buds can't fix it, Bud's will give me the cost as an allowance against any gun they carry. But, thats why my wood is pretty plain to look at.

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Like cheesy, I have a bronze 20 ga. Also like him didnt see any real difference in the Mcarbo springs. After the firs tone , called them and they sent me another for free, but it didnt change. Ive had functioning problems,mostly FTE, even though I've shot heavy loads first to break it in. Twice its locked up with the fired case in the chamber. Last outing, it ate the o-ring. Factory is sending me a couple gratis.