16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Firing pin springs
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:05 am  Reply with quote

Just wondering if it is a good idea to use snap caps and fire the gun to relieve pressure on the springs when not in use for a while.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:32 am  Reply with quote

AC,
The argument about snap caps has been going on for ever, I use them in all my Classic American double guns. Have never had any problems with the springs in my Classic guns and our family has been using Snap Caps for many generations now.
I still use the Snap Caps in all my double guns, no matter who made them.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Like Pine Creek Dave, I use snap caps in all my shotguns. Leaving coil springs under tension is not a good idea.

jim18611865
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I also use snap caps in all my shotguns.
There will be some who claim coil springs only wear with use and not compression.

My son left his 1187 shotgun mag tube loaded while at college.
That spring lost 6+ inches in two years. Yes it is a flimsy coil spring, but it did compress enough to make the gun a single shot.

Jim
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks,snap caps it is.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Generally speaking, you should be able to dry fire any centerfire firearm without causing damage. However, if the manufacturer says not to dry fire it, then a snap cap is the way to go.

If a modern centerfire firearm cannot sustain occasional dry firing, then it's probably not designed or made very well.

That said, I would not dry fire any old or "classic" firearm, as the materials may not be as consistent as modern metals, and materials used may not be as robust as those used today.
Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:06 am  Reply with quote

I put snap caps in all my guns unless I will be using them in the near future, like for skeet or during a week of hunting. Keeps the springs from losing tension. I think it would be most important on a gun without coil springs like on an older sidelock (the term escapes me).

I have seen guns, especially older sxs, that had been dry-fired so much they developed mounds at the firing pin holes on the breech face. That’s another reason for using snap caps if you’re going to practice mounting & firing without ammo. The snap caps add a load similar to a live primer to absorb the impact and save the breech, as well as the pin shoulder.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Might need a metallurgist to address this, but could aluminum snap caps pose a risk of galvanic action from dissimilar metal contact with the chamber? A corroded snap cap might be messy, but a pitted chamber would be more serious.

We had a big problem with a Mazda rotary engine where the aluminum and steel plates met. The engine digested itself. Evidently the coolant acted as an electrolyte. I’m probably overthinking this, but maybe oils and contaminants in the shotgun chamber might act the same.

B.
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:34 am  Reply with quote

I have not had a problem so far, and yes I double-checked. I’ve used a few different lubes, currently using Hornady One-Shot, but Rem oil, Hoppes, EEZOX and even Singer Sewing Machine oil have been or are in my guns with aluminum snap-caps.

A little dab’ll do ya.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:32 am  Reply with quote

my caps are old style AA cases with the spent primer still in ..... get an old Winnie SX-1 or a M50 - you'll know why it's such a good idea to use caps early on !!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:55 am  Reply with quote

I like the wooly snap caps made of brass but make one modification before using them. The "primer" that cushions the firing pins is made of steel and has tendency to flatten firing pin tips. I machine new "primers" from 1/4" brass stock so the firing pins are not damaged.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

For repeated dry firing, which is almost universally encouraged by shooting experts for home practice, snap caps are good policy if not a necessity.

But snap caps seem superfluous for an occasional dry fire to lower the hammers for storage. The number of occurrences will be relatively low, and should pose little or no risk to a sound firearm.

B.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:34 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
my caps are old style AA cases with the spent primer still in !

I'm in this camp, but add a big red sharpie X on the spent shell bases so when opening the gun at the club get fewer incredulous looks/inquiries as to why I have shells in the chambers.

Messed around with squishing pencil erasers in the primer pockets and even tried filling the pockets with high durometer urethane sealant/adhesive a while back but spent shells/primers does the job for me of late. When the primer pierces, replace with another spent primer, good to go.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Putz - yup . easy peasy !!! B11 - compressed hammer springs are a real problem in the 2 guns I mention . Don't subscribe to dry firing .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:48 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

In our family the care and storage of our L.C. Smith guns, including the Snap Caps have been handed down thru the generations of our family. None of our guns have ever had a spring failure or a firing pin failure, in over 140 years. Even our Fox guns were stored with Snap Caps and the guns were fired to eliminate the spring tension.
Some of the gun manufacturers have advised that the Snap Caps were not needed, we were taught to use them and disregard those particular directions. In our family generations, there have been many metal joining engineers, that knew a lot about gun metals, every one of them followed the L.C. Smith directions for cleaning, oiling and storing our family guns, and our guns have remained as new for many life times, and the guns have been extensively used down thru the generations. I can not even imagine how many shells have been shot thru our family guns, millions for sure. I will give instructions to the sportsman who inherit our guns as the instructions have been taught to me, others can do what they want I will do as I was taught, to safe guard our family guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers