16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My latest project
drcook
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

For whatever reason Bud's had this for sale for a little over $1500.00, they are now a bit over $1700.00. I looked and looked for a 16ga 525, but they are scarce. I need the very tight grip curve due to the issue with my hand/wrist.

So, just as I always do, if I can't find it, I build it. I acquired this 16ga Citori Hunter Grade 1 and got a 525 stock. I do have to do a little fitting as you can see, but I have done that in the past with my single shot rifles, no biggie.

Once I am done, it will fit as if it was made for it. I may have to deepen the tang's slots just a tad, and will Acraglas where the receiver bottoms out in the stock. That bottoming out spot is what takes the recoil, not the sides.

Eventually I will acquire the matching schnabel fore end, and put an oil finish on them, I have a replication of the old Winchester Red formula that will look really good over the existing color. An alternative is MinWax has a wipe on poly Satin finish that might duplicate the existing fore end.

16'er
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Always great to see these type of projects, it’s great you have the skills to make the gun work for you.

Looks like a good way to beat the summertime blues and get ready for fall…

Keep us posted!
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Been a slight change of direction. MK (my better half, the boss lady) bought me a White Lightning that we found used at Jaquas, didn't look as if it was shot, or shot much as a reward for not dying on her. Cabelas also had a Hunter Grade 2 on clearance for a very significant savings. As guns are my one and only bad habit (well maybe the Corvette is a bad habit also), we also got the Grade 2 (we were able to financially get these this year, a 1 time happenstance).

All 16 gauge guns of course !!!!

So here are pictures of what is in progress. The 525 stocks are being fitted to the Grade 2 and the White Lightning. MK likes the blue finish so I am fitting the open grip White Lightning stock to the blued Grade 1 and will cut the stock of course. I do have to up-finish the fore arm to match the bettter finished White Lightning stock.

Then I have acquired some red recoil pads to go on them.

3rd picture is the 525 stock finish matched to the existing White Lightning fore arm. It is a combination of an oil that I have that reproduces the old Winchester red with Tru-oil over the top.

4th picture is where the stock being fitted to the grade 2 receiver is at. I am waiting on a new inletting scraper to come from Pennsylvania. When opening up the inletteting for the tangs, it is more precise to scrape on a pulling stroke than pushing on a chisel type cutter, which for me (partially because of the issue with my hand) tends to dig in want to cut more than intended.

I am at the point of just shaving off little bits to get the inletting tight as it should be.

I have found out that el cheapo bright red lipstick works great for inletting. I have some inletting black, but I an now preferring the red color for being easy to see.

justchris
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

drcook I sent you a PM...
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

This is the White Lightning receiver that I am fitting the oil finished 525 stock above to.

I am not going to do as fancy a job on the Grade 2 stock as it is going to be a hunting gun.