16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Boss now making 2 9/16 bismuth hunting loads
fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:26 am  Reply with quote

My wife and I have used Boss bismuth 7's for grouse, woodcock and quail since they first became available, maybe 5 years ago.

The past two weeks have been phenomenal for grouse and woodcock in NC MN. I shot a lot of shells, mostly misses. When I got home I checked my stash. I realized I had enough shells for this season, but I went to Boss' website anyway to check price and availability.

I didn't see their standard 16 ga 1 oz. 1350 FPS load that we have been shooting. But they were advertising a new line of 16 ammo. 2 9/16" 1 1/8 oz. hmmmmm

I called Boss to try and get the real scoop. A very friendly and knowledgeable rep actually answered the phone. She explained that for this year, Boss was not manufacturing the one ounce load. Instead they were trying a 2 9/16" load with a roll crimp. 1 1/8 oz at 1240 fps. 4,5,6,and 7 shot and a 3/5 combo load. The rep said recoil is less than than higher velocity load. I do notice the recoil when I shoot my wifes Citori feather with the 1350 fps loads. I have never noticed recoil in my pumps.

The rep said they tried to source purple hulls for the roll crimp, but they could not find them for this load. See said the hulls are clear, with a purple wad.

When I called last week they had some fours and fives in stock. Now all shot sizes are listed as out of stock. The rep said they are producing shells everyday, so the wait list is not long.

For those not familiar. Boss only produces non toxic loads. To keep price more reasonable, they are not available in any stores. All shells are shipped direct to your house, or at shows where they are exhibiting. I talked with their reps at Game Fair last year. I have been very impressed with their products and service.
fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:28 am  Reply with quote

link for Boss 16 ga shells

https://bossshotshells.com/products/16-ga-3-dram-equivalent-shotshell
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Good to know. As to her comment regarding recoil of the two loads, pretty certain the new, heavier loading will NOT have less recoil than the previous one ouncer if you run the numbers.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Lewis295
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see how those perform. I bought a case of their 1 oz load in 7 and 5 a while back and haven't been wildly impressed. I've had slight inconsistencies and the stack hight isn't great with catered crimps and some with holes in the center that allow a pellet or two to escape.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:01 am  Reply with quote

Looks promising, a decent price as well, just a little above what a similar DIY shell would cost. Dram Equiv?!? Not sure that's very relevant these days.

If needing some Bis in the mean, surprised these have not sold already, no affiliation just passing along...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1010784251