16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Duplex TSS/Steel 16 load
castnblast
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody tried to use TSS or the 15gr/cc shot in a duplex load with steel? I have loaded the 15gr/cc heavyweight shot before, using reclaimed shot form the Federal 10 gauge loads when they were one sale. 1 oz was plenty for ducks but this combination still requires a felt ward, card wad, and the plastic beads and buffer in the original load.
My thought was to "salt" a primarily steel load of 1's or 2's with the TSS 9's or !5Gr/cc 7's. I mean, why use fillers to fill even the smallish case of the 16 in order the get a good crimp, when I could use larger steel to fill that same space and then finish with the high density shot for the lowest cost load with a set minimum acceptable pellet count and energy level at my preferred distance.
mcrewz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

If you search duplex load you will come across Dave in AZ. He was working on this a couple years back. He also has his own blog with a plethora of nontoxic load data, info, thoughts and ideas. https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/

Mike
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Don't do it. It's a waste of TSS. Seriously.

You have low density pellets with a large cross section that slow quickly and you have high density pellets that retain velocity very well. What do you think happens down range? A small number of pellets outrun the rest leaving you with two weak patterns separate from one another.

You won't kill any birds further than with the plain steel shot load. Duplex is a marketing gimmick that unfortunately does trick some people. Just load a few true TSS loads for special circumstances and call it good.

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:47 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Don't do it. It's a waste of TSS. Seriously.

You have low density pellets with a large cross section that slow quickly and you have high density pellets that retain velocity very well. What do you think happens down range? A small number of pellets outrun the rest leaving you with two weak patterns separate from one another.

You won't kill any birds further than with the plain steel shot load. Duplex is a marketing gimmick that unfortunately does trick some people. Just load a few true TSS loads for special circumstances and call it good.

The truth has been spoken!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

As usual, Wyochukar has it right.

castnblast
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't think about the effect on shot string. Makes sense...
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:23 am  Reply with quote

By and large agree with WyoChucker. Been following (learning from) the many threads about it on refugeforums.com and others and the only bene of duplexing I seem to glean from them is that adding some steel allows the use of current components and to a degree recipes w/o new load testing and a bunch of filler or cutting hulls down to 2" or whatever to adjust to TSS' remarkable density and small payload volumes.

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
the only bene of duplexing I seem to glean from them is that adding some steel allows the use of current components and to a degree recipes w/o new load testing

I would seriously question that you can duplex two different shot types (steel & tss) and NOT do load testing specific to the load with the combined shot types.
castnblast
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

By and large agree with WyoChucker. Been following (learning from) the many threads about it on refugeforums.com and others and the only bene of duplexing I seem to glean from them is that adding some steel allows the use of current components and to a degree recipes w/o new load testing and a bunch of filler or cutting hulls down to 2" or whatever to adjust to TSS' remarkable density and small payload volumes.

These were my thoughts. Instead of using filler, add large steel pellets and slightly reduce the amount of TSS. I never saw any advantage of duplex loads using two different sizes of steel.

I never considered Wyo's point about the increased shot string...