16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Steel shot in Poly-Choke??
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Win M12 that has the full choke barrel shortened (removing the choke) and a Poly Choke added. The job was very well done by a qualified gunsmith. I previously used it with lead, but lands are now being closed to it so I am wondering two things: Are the newer improved steel shot loads kinder to old barrels? and 2. would it be possible to use steel shot in the barrel if the choke setting was no tighter than Improved Cylinder or possibly Modified?
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, you can use steel.

I use IC for most applications

https://www.facebook.com/NitramPolyChoke/

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19753&highlight=polychoke+steel

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot a bunch of steel 4's, and some two's and and three's thru "Poly-choke" devices on different 16 ga. guns. I have killed some ducks and noticed no changes to the gun or choke. I usual set it to IC or equivalent setting.
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:03 am  Reply with quote

As an FYI to everyone, the polychoke page on Facebook is dead and hasn't been touched since 2015.

I tried the Wayback Machine (actually the internet archive facility) and couldn't get a good retrieval.

I do remember seeing the business for sale on eBay for some ridiculous amount, considering that ROI would have been in the negative, so I think that they just faded out of business. I remember something about the "old lady" simply wanted out of it.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I don’t recommend it but not knowing any better, for several seasons I avidly fired many rounds of steel T and BB at geese through the Polychoke on my 12ga M12 set to Full (and X Full when Full failed to drop them), with no ill effects, either to the gun, or typically to the geese either.

Also many boxes of steel 2 and 4 went through the Polychoke at ducks as well, with greater success and again no evident damage to the gun. Curiously, steel 2 for some unknown reason was particularly effective on ducks and pheasant, almost comparable to lead. I never enjoyed similar success with steel 4 or anything larger except the no. 2.

I no longer shoot steel, preferring bismuth and ITX instead, so I can’t vouch for the latest type of steel in a Polychoke.

B.
bmarks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:02 am  Reply with quote

My question in this case is should modern steel loads be shot through an old M12 or Ithaca 37 barrel?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:57 am  Reply with quote

I've shot steel through a Mod 12 with Modified choke. No safety issues are to be expected. Do it enough and there could be minor cosmetic marks inside. That's about it.

bmarks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I've shot steel through a Mod 12 with Modified choke. No safety issues are to be expected. Do it enough and there could be minor cosmetic marks inside. That's about it.

Whats your opinion on shooting steel shot thru Ithaca 37 barrels? These are post-war guns.
Probably only steel 6 shot or 7.5s
stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:15 am  Reply with quote

I read on this forum that Ithaca said steel shot was safe in open bored roto-forged barrels. This was a long while ago.
drcook
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

I own both (post-war and Roto-Forged). The roto-forged barrels are thicker than the earlier barrels. On the earlier barrels, you could probably get away with it using the more open chokes. Same with the roto-forged barrels. Neither are hardened steel and if you try and shove steel through a full choke barrel that was built for lead, well, eventually you are going to have a not so desirable result. What will the result be ? Who can say until it happens. Maybe the end of the barrel ends up looking (to a degree) like a funnel, or just opened up.

I know when I had some rust spots laser welded up, I told the guy to just use mild steel and it blended in perfectly. If it wasn't just mild steel, I would have ended up with a bluing mismatch.

Now I do have steel rated extended chokes for my Roto-forged barrels that came with tubes. I would not hesitate one bit to use them.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:11 am  Reply with quote

As an example .... shot #4 steel out of a 2nd yr 20ga M12 , full choke , NOTHING . Friend shot 2 #4 steel thru his 12ga M25 and it cutely ringed at the choke . Mod seems to be the safety cut off for old M12's , and it seems to me when I inquired back then it was a cut off (mod)for both Poly's and choke tubes . (asked both Ruger and Briley about my Red Label and that was the reply - mod or less .) I own the M25 now and no worries whatsoever . Wished we'da patterned the gun then and now just to see if a difference - maybe tighter !

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:48 am  Reply with quote

I shoot steel out of my 1913 made Winchester Model 1912 in 20 gauge. It has a poly choke and I set it at IC and it is a wonderful gun

Shocked

Mike

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

Somewhat contrary to my previous remarks above, concerns about steel through ported barrels have been raised concerning potential damage to the ports if steel pellets penetrate through the wad. Similarly, some Polychokes have a ventilated section, and in theory the possibility exists that a steel pellet might break through the wad and damage the slots. However I have no direct knowledge of such a case.

B.
drcook
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Somewhat contrary to my previous remarks above, concerns about steel through ported barrels have been raised concerning potential damage to the ports if steel pellets penetrate through the wad. Similarly, some Polychokes have a ventilated section, and in theory the possibility exists that a steel pellet might break through the wad and damage the slots. However I have no direct knowledge of such a case.

B.

That is actually a good point. Unvented sections can be found on eBay. However, a person looking for such needs to be cognizant of the fact that there were 2 different thread pitches between the body and the section that turned that were used during the times PCs were produced. Always be aware of what you are buying.

madtrapper143
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:44 am  Reply with quote

The inside diameter of the vented Poly Choke is much greater than the choke portion or the bore. There is no chance and steel shot could come into contact with the vented sleeve.

Darryl