16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth shot quality
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

Of the people who have reloaded Bismuth shot recently what brand of shot have you had good luck with? I want to load up some #4 loads and I have no idea whose shot to use.

Thanks,

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:20 am  Reply with quote

IMHO, they are all about the same. I wouldn't use brand name as the deciding factor.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

The copper plated bismuth looks very pretty & the sellers claim it is better but I haven't shot enough of either plated or unplated to have statistically significant results
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

I prefer Ballistic Products Inc. bismuth due it's much more consistent size & sphericity when compared to RotoMetals = more consistent loads/loading/stack height and long range reach. If cost is a factor (and long range and consistent loading isn't) RM edges out BPI to a small degree when you figure out how to take advantage of all their the different sale offerings. Can't speak to Boss' re-loadable pellets since I couldn't find a way to purchase them directly and frankly don't care since BPI' pellets work so well for me.

As far as I can tell, Precision Reloading has given up on Bismuth altogether.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. BPI has 2 grades of Bismuth. Any thoughts on the different grades. Good loads are the priority but not spending money on hype/ marketing BS is also important.

Thanks,

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Jeez , Mike . Me and Nick jumped on Roto Metals when they really 1st became visable , thought the shot was great ... We both loaded up ! The sales of late are usually (best case) 159 or 169 for 10 # 6 shot , and free shipping over 149 bucks ...Stick with vol/vol subbing for lead as long as it's within 1/8oz . Happy ! RM is also beeen a GREAT co to deal with . 1st order , they sent #1 instead of #7 , called and didn't expect much and they sent the correct size and I still have the #1 . Other things have come up and they've been top notch fixing them !

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Whoops, seems I wrote something a bit strongly, all good, nothing against RM, they run a tight ship no doubt. I've purchased some ingot metals from them and nothing but accolades.

The smaller sized drop/dripped inconsistent shot seems OK out to "in the dekes" range for some. But IMO at those ranges steel works just fine. By and large I'm loading for those tough late season Divers that buzz the outside of the spread and pass shooting >45y with the larger shot for smart late season Honkers and find the consistent sized round shot...loads, patterns and works best for me at those longish ranges with more often than not complete pass through. Knocked 3 Honkers down (Ohio) over this past weekend, lovin' the energy those pellets carry.

Again nothing against RM, I simply want/need the basically perfectly round (assuming cast) pellets that BPI offers.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 am  Reply with quote

no worries Mike ... The ranges I usually shoot , < 35yds probably wouldn't notice anything ... Nick still sez anything inside of maybe 60 is a goner , so if there was a "THING ", I would think he'da said so - hasn't !!

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:05 am  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
BPI has 2 grades of Bismuth. Any thoughts on the different grades. Good loads are the priority but not spending money on hype/ marketing BS is also important.

I haven't purchased or used their lower price point BSR Bismuth. I use their Sphero #3, B & BB in the 16ga and have moved on to casting my own #T for the 10ga.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 am  Reply with quote

With bismuth shot, the important factor is alloy content. 6% tin seems to keep it from fracturing upon firing, 4% is known to be insufficient.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Agreed, at least 6% which I understand as baseline today from BP & RotoMetals. After seeing some fracturing evidence (BB, BBB & T) on the pattern paper with the larger modern Bis pellets. Did some research online focused on highest strength Bismuth bullet casting. The non-tox rifle guys are using as much as >10% Tin often more and even messing with adding some Antimony.

Acquired some old Bis BB's from a retired Goose hunter. Determined they were of the 3-4% Tin vintage. Compared them to the 6% modern BB's from BP & RM by applying some unscientific testing, a #1 pound ball peen dropped from ~1', the 3% shattered not unlike ice w/very small fragments, the 6% pellets did better w/ bigger chunks and some not shattered but cracked. The T pellets I'm casting are in the ~10% range and after the hammer drop test don't shatter to pieces but look similar to Packman video game creatures, flattened round w/a small crack but never shatter. Mission accomplished.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:25 am  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. BPI has 2 grades of Bismuth. Any thoughts on the different grades.....

Pertinent thread on DHR....

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/bpi-bsr-polished-bismuth-shot.1103830/