16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Repairing Browning Glossy Finish Dings and Scratches
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

I finally found a quick and easy way to fix nicks and scratches on the Browning glossy finish. Yes, those nasty dings that turn ugly white on the bowling pin finish on your lovely Browning can be permanently and almost invisibly repaired.

First, it wasn’t quick and easy to find the answer. Browning’s glossy finish is proprietary so there’s no off the shelf substitute. I have tried and rejected all the other ways - varnishes, polyurethane, buffing compounds, UV finishes, and a bunch of other bottles and cans of restorers, overcovers, etc. Forget them, they don’t work and some will make the damage worse.

Here’s what you do: Purchase a set of Varathane Repair Markers at Home Depot or Amazon. Get the set that contains Maple, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Mahogany & Black. Amazon calls it the “warm tones” set. DON’T buy any other brands, only Varathane.

First, clean the scratch with something mild like paint thinner. Wipe off then dry thoroughly.

Next, find the color that matches the finish, and use the NEXT LIGHTEST COLOR. The colors are actually come out darker than they look. Then CAREFULLY use the very tip of the marker to fill in the scratch. You can build up the marking and make it darker if necessary. You can also blend different colors to match. Try it on an inconspicuous spot somewhere if necessary. You can also wipe it off before it dries and try again. When you are happy with the color and result then let it dry.

That’s it. You are done. The Varathane is alcohol or solvent based so it won’t wash off after it dries. For small dings and scratches, nobody but you will know its there. I realize some of you will have a problem with that, but this can’t help if that’s the case.

If it’s a big horrible gouge area and you want to give it some protection, cover it with Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane crystal clear gloss. Apply multiple coats with a small microfiber cloth for cleaning eyeglasses, do not use a brush which will make a permanent mess. Or you can use a toothpick for small spots. The poly looks just like the Browning gloss.

The Browning gloss looks great on the store rack, but we all know what happens in real life, so next time, buy a gun with an oil finish. All the Euro makers are going in that direction for this very reason.

Good Luck
B.
df
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

I can not stand the bowling pin finish on Brownings. My sweet 16 and grade III citori have both been stripped and refinished to a satin finish.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure the finish on a 1965 Superposed is the same, but the only damage that it has received are a couple slight dents- not sure the finish has been broken. It's a 20 ga so it generally gets left in the safe- when I go hunting I generally take a SxS 16.