16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Source for 2 1/2 16 ga
Dig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a JP Sauer 16, any suggestions for 2 1/2 shells other than RST whom seem to be constantly out? Thanks.

[/url]
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:02 am  Reply with quote

I’ve never used them for short chamber but everyone says Remington Game Loads are short enough. Are you certain the wood is solid, wall thickness is sufficient? If so you should be fine. You could also contact a reputable double gun smith and inquire about lengthening the chambers. I’ve owned several Sauers and have always liked them. Tomorrow in fact I may be reunited with a pre-WWI 12 gauge I sold years ago and always regretted. You should also consider reloading. With a Mec 600 and some practice it’s a piece of cake.
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:34 am  Reply with quote

Vintage or drill type roll crimper.

Punch, metal plate with hole mounted to a wood block with a hollow under hole to deprime. Use flat section of plate and brass drift to prime with mallet.

Lee powder measure scoop set and digital scale for powder and shot measures.

OSC, hard cards, and fiber wads.

You may be able to buy short hulls already primed.

Except for the shot and powder, this all fits in a shoebox sized tote.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:04 am  Reply with quote

There are three 2 1/2” 16 ga guns in the cabinet here and the 600jr reloader is set up for 2 1/2” shells with thousands of rounds through it. But know what? Don’t bother with all that. I agree with Swampy. I’d simply shoot RGLs through it. They are slightly undersized in length AND diameter. If you are still concerned, check the chamber length yourself with flat tip screwdriver or plastic drinking straw. There’s a very good chance someone already solved the problem for you. More importantly, make sure the stock bolt is snugged up, and enjoy shooting it.

B.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

I was a fan of RST, in fact I have a bunch of boxes of 16ga papers in #7 I found I had (much to my delight), but these days I just reload my own.

I bought 2-3 different hull trimmers, and was unhappy with every hull trimmer I bought. I came up with an idea for one, and started working on a design to 3D print one. Then I found one very similar to what I designed on eBay, and was inspired by that design to improve my own.

It works great, and so this winter I've been trimming down new Cheddite hulls and loading true 2-9/16" rounds on a MEC 600 Sizemaster with the short kit installed.

The best part about a 3D printer is that unlike with subtractive manufacturing or other molding processes, complexity is free - so I'm now working on the next revision/version that combines a hull trimmer with a shell opener that will cut the end off loaded hulls - even ones where the end isn't fully crimped, and it's looking really promising.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Shenk Shotshell Co has 2 1/2" 16 gauge ammo for sale (though currently out of stock). I've shot their 12 gauge 2 1/2" loads and liked them -- but they did seem a little stout for vintage shotguns.

https://www.shenkshotshellco.com/16-gauge
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

The RP Game load hulls used to be 2 5/8" and work great in my short chamber guns. The latest hulls that I have seen are a full 2 3/4 and have to be trimmed for my guns.
Gamebore and Hull Cartridge co., in England make good 2 1/2" shells.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

You know, I have a few cases of RGL's I bought over 10 years ago and a few boxes I bought in the last year or so, so I will fire some off next time I go to trap league night and measure the hulls to see how they compare.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Are you concerned with pressure or recoil?

If pressure is your main concern...I searched for the older thread on here regarding longer shells in shorter chambers but couldn't find it. Reasonably sure this thread/link was referenced in it...

https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19047

If, assuming low, recoil is the main concern that's another story. FWIW, RGL's in my experience have a sharp bite to them.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
If, assuming low recoil is the main concern that's another story. FWIW, RGL's in my experience have a sharp bite to them.

I can promise you, a 2-3/4" RGL in a short chamber 2-9/16" gun made in 1927 that weighs 5-3/4 lbs will have recoil that hurts... a LOT. I learned that lesson over 30 years ago.

That's how I found out my A grade AH Fox had short chambers, and also how I found out the barrels were starting to rattle apart after who knows how many 2-3/4" rounds Grandma put through it shooting at those crows in the garden...
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:21 am  Reply with quote

I suggest learning to reload 2.5" shells while waiting for RST or someone else to have them back in stock. And when they do come back in stock, buy lots and horde them.

You can look for low pressure (sub 8500), slower (sub 1150 fps 1 oz) load recipes if you are concerned with recoil. A 7/8 oz 1200 fps load is about the same recoil as a 1 oz 1100 fps load, and will tackle just about all of your shooting needs with that gun.
And you will stay within recommended safe limits for the metal & wood, assuming the gun is in good condition.

RGLs will work quite well for reloads, but as others have said, they're a bit hot from the factory. Combining them with a Claybuster 7/8 oz wad would likely be a winning combo, along with the appropriate powder & primer.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Reloading is definitely the best way to get what you need.

BUT..................

Most Sauers are pretty stout guns If barrel wall thickness is good and you don't need low pressure, I would just get some 1oz loads that are around 1165 fps like Federals or Fiocchi and shoot them.

Also, I guy I shot with a while back was shooting some of the new Winchester 1oz loads. I kept his empties and they measured 2 5/8"

You may want to get a box and try them.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

So digging around in my collection of once-fired hulls, I measured a bunch (30 each) of Remington Game Load (black) hull and Federal Game Shok (purple) hulls. I have a fair amount of Winchester hulls also, but haven't measured them yet.

Average hull length for the Federal was 2.737in.

Average hull length for the Remington was 2.668in.

So yes, while the Remington hulls are shorter than 2-3/4", they are closer to 2-3/4in than they are to 2-9/16in.