16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Skeettx’s Unicorn
JMikeOo1944
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Just a additional side line, I have a full box of Peters Victor Plastic power Piston 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #9 skeet load shells.
You could always shoot skeet with a 16 ga gun, but you had to do it in/
with 12 ga competition.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

In the early day of tournament skeet there had been a 16ga class. But to have enough time to get all gauges shot on a weekend they decided to combine the 12 and 16 ga events because the two gauges were so close in effectiveness. Many people continued to shoot their 16ga guns because they preferred them to 12ga (imagine that)

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

In my opinion the .410 (not a real gauge) bore should have been dropped instead of the 16 (real gauge) ga.
Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:50 am  Reply with quote

The Winchester Model 12 Skeet Gun in 16-gauge was a catalog item (G1281S) from the introduction of the Model 12 Skeet Gun in the 1934 Winchester Catalog No. 89 through the 1950 Winchester catalog, but they do seem to be rather scarce. Winchester offered their Model 21 Skeet Gun in 16-gauge from their introduction in 1933 through the end of regular production in 1959 and they seem downright common. Savage offered their A.H. Fox SP-/SPE-Grade Skeet & Upland Game Gun and Fox-Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland Game Gun in 16-gauge. Ithaca offered their NID and Model 37 Skeet Guns in 16-gauge and their Lefever A-Grade Skeet Gun (Model 6) in 16-gauge. Remington offered their Model 31 Skeet Gun, The Sportsman Skeet Gun and Parker Skeet Gun in 16-gauge. Iver Johnson offered their SKEET-ER in 16-gauge.

waggo71
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

At long last I recently managed to snag a beautiful 16 gauge model 12 with a solid rib. I wasn't necessarily looking for a skeet gun but that's the way it turned out. 26" barrel, fabulous wood with solid red Winchester pad and completely refurbished by gunsmith Roger Eubanks who specializes in model 12's and 42's. Depending on who's numbers you trust more it is either a 1946 or 1947. If I ever get hooked up with a hosting site I'll post some pics but let's just say I'm super happy with it!

Researcher, I have heard and read that some special order guns may have used up parts that were made and on hand from years prior, has your investigative work unearthed anything to validate that notion? Also I read that the ribbed guns continued to get the old rust blue treatment even after they had moved to nitrite bluing on the field guns.