16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16ga Skeet Shootoff
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

Took the M37 to the skeet range the other day for a little workout. Turned out to be as enjoyable as I can recall. That sleek 6 lb 2.7 oz M37 can really swat the targets. Mod choke more like IM but as nice and even as I’ve seen, no hot core, so not really a handicap, and it really smokes them.

Main challenge with the M37 is to maintain an easy steady swing with the super light plain barrel. After fumbling with the cycling on the first round (whats that live 16ga round doing there on the ground?) I figured out the action and shot a 22 in the second round of its first outing. No problem whatsoever cycling on the doubles, totally effortless, what a sweet shooting gun. A 25 is definitely feasible, mod choke not withstanding.

We were planning a return trip for another M37 session, when I heard a faint whining from the gun safe…it was the M12 saying What about me?

OK I say, you want to play too? Let’s have a shootoff between the two of you: M37 vs M12, two rounds of skeet each, doubles for tiebreaker. Let’s see which of you comes out on top.

Then the others chimed in - the old A5, the AyA, and finally the competition tested Citori with its Briley sheet tube chokes. They all wanted in too. Fine, I said, get ready and no excuses, it’s game on. But sorry 16x8mm, gotta shoot doubles so you’re just a spectator.

So I figure at least four more sessions of four rounds of skeet each, and maybe more if the losers want a consolation bracket.

Can this shooter handle a hundred rounds of 7/8 oz with 6 lb guns in an afternoon, times four over a month or two? We’ll find out!

Cheers,
B.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Great fun!!

I gave up trying to remember to pump the slide on the M12 years ago. Now it's hard enough to remember whether the gun is single trigger or double trigger- quite embarrassing to get them mixed on that second bird.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:48 am  Reply with quote

I wore my M37 out shooting trap, it was a natural pointer, then wore out an old marlin 90, so ended up buying a citori, its now my go to trap gun. The older guns just could not handle the round count.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920