16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca M37 Redux
budrichard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Some of you may remember my NOS 16 gauge M37 26" from the present Ithaca company. I was not happy with the 'Extra Wood' that i had ordered. Craig Marshall told me that he "would do what it takes to make me happy'. At the time he was having a supply problem with the former wood supplier so it took awhile until he was able to send me some pics of suitable stocks. I picked one, sent the gun to Ithaca and here it is side by side with my 1939 M37 16 28" gauge. The wood has a much more pleasant grain structure than the former. The finsh is also perfect. Some of you may know that I am quite a 'wood' person. The interesting part of the whole process is how the M37 and every other pump gun I know of has gained weight over the years.
Gun Barrel Receiver & Forearm
1939 28" 6# 5.6oz 1# 7.9 oz 4# 13.6oz
2006 26" 6# 14.5oz 1# 13.2oz 5# 1.3oz

The VR of course adds some weight but even with the shorter barrel it weighs more.
In any event Craig and everyone at Ithaca bent over to meet my expectations.

sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

that's not just wood, it's "lumber"!

Thanks for posting and glad you were able to work with the mfgr for a positive
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
that's not just wood, it's "lumber"!

Thanks for posting and glad you were able to work with the mfgr for a positive

Totally agree on both counts.

It's service like that which makes me really hope that the Marshall's are able to make the Ithaca Gun Company successful again. Heck, if they are looking for relocation possiblities, we would LOVE to have them down here in Mississippi.

Brad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

WOW!!!! I have the same opinion about Craig Marshall as you do Bud. The man has integrity. In our day and age, that is not a guarentee to success. Too bad it does not carry the weight it used to.

However, I'm hoping the company makes it where ever they end up. We need folks like this in the gun business. Heck, we need folks like this period.
trust me
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

budrichard wrote:

In any event Craig and everyone at Ithaca bent over to meet my expectations.

Bent over backward, Bud, bent over backward!

I think we all agree Ithaca did a great job, but there are limitations!

Love my 2 37's as well, but my Fajen stock, while nice, shouldn't be posted anywhere near that masterpiece of yours.

Grousen
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

This sure makes me glad I have a new 37 on order with the new Ithaca Guns USA. I didn't particularly need another 12 gauge, but I wanted to support them early on. I've seen the gun minus the buttstock, and the quality improvement is readily apparent. They are just waiting for the buttstocks to be delivered from their new supplier, then that gun is in my safe! I certainly don't expect a stock any where near like this one, but it sure gives me some ball-busting material to have fun with the Marshalls after I do get my gun!

I had just visited Ithaca Guns USA in Upper Sandusky, Ohio a week ago, and could not have been treated any kinder. Sandy Marshall made me feel like a V.I.P., as I stood there in my bird hunting clothes after having just come in from the field. I'm not used to that! Sandy is one sweet lady. I have already made an appointment for my wife to receive some behavior modification training from Sandy. If that works, my son is next to go!

I sure do hope my wife doesn't visit this website!!!!!!!
budrichard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:36 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Grousen"]This sure makes me glad I have a new 37 on order with the new Ithaca Guns USA. I didn't particularly need another 12 gauge, but I wanted to support them early on. I've seen the gun minus the buttstock, and the quality improvement is readily apparent. They are just waiting for the buttstocks to be delivered from their new supplier, then that gun is in my safe! I certainly don't expect a stock any where near like this one, but it sure gives me some ball-busting material to have fun with the Marshalls after I do get my gun!

Did you order "Extra Wood'? Its about $300 and if you can get to preview the stock by email as Ithaca did with me, then it will certainly enhance your 37.
With my experience now with Ithaca and looking at Remington Custom Shop wood at the NRA Convention, I will not be ordering a gun with upgraded wood in the future without viewing the wood by email at a minimum. My Bespoke Bruchet/Darne came with a very nice piece of straight grained walnut that I did not see but I didn't pay for a wood upgrade and the gun is an R11. My RBL did come with a very nice 'Exhibition' American Black Walnut' stock that i had not seen but I was very specific in my order as to what i was looking for and Tony did a great job for $700.
Wood has become the last thing most gun manufacturers seem to think about these days.

On another tack, I have read some very dispariging Posts over the years when a firearm didn't work out the way a person believed it should. In particular lately if you have read the Posts by individuals that did not like some aspect of thier RBL, and BLASTED CSMC over the Internet. In quite the opposite fashion, i worked to understand Craig's problems at Ithaca and sent him pics of wood that i have to give him an idea of what i like. Rather than an adversarial approach, we worked to solve the problem. I can understand when some of the Posters said when they voiced thier disatisfaction to Tony or Lou at CSMC, they simply said, send it back for a refund. I wouldn't want to deal with these individuals either. Many individuals do not seem to understand that obtaining what you want is a two way street and think that purchasing a product is a license to harang a manufacturerer.
Well. I'm off my 'Soap Box' now! -Dick
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful stick of wood. Great to see that the new Ithaca is customer oriented -- a refreshing change. Very Happy Prettiest wood that I have ever seen on a pump.

Hc

3DocPop
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Oh my Exclamation

I have a hunk of wood that will be ready next winter, for the Sterlingworth. Your stock is what it aspires to be!
Grousen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

budrichard,

Thanks for mentioning the possibility of ordering "extra wood". I'll certainly be giving it extra thought.
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:49 am  Reply with quote

budrichard,

I wanted to take a little time to digest your last paragraph in your last post before responding it. I think this was a simple misunderstanding. As you misunderstood my attempt at humor, I obviously failed to effectively communicate my meaning.

I have no intention of trying to complain to the Marshalls at Ithaca Guns USA in order to get an upgraded stock at no additional charge or at a reduced charge. If I want something someone else is selling, I am always willing to pay for it. And should I believe their price to be out of line, I simply do not make the purchase, and quietly go away.

I truly appreciate what the Marshalls are trying to do, which is keeping a fine American gun company in America, as well as improving it's quality over what it had degraded into. It is my understanding Ithaca was close to being sold to an overseas owner, with their manufacturing and jobs also going overseas. In the late 60's Ithaca was my first love in shotguns, and as they say you never forget your first. In my opinion, the Marshalls should be commended for what they are trying to do. That is why I have ordered a 12 gauge M37 made by them in Upper Sandusky even though I really don't need another 12 gauge. I wanted to support them early on, so that the company would thrive and eventually produce the smaller gauges that I am really interested in.

I have no intention of trying to screw the Marshalls out of better wood without paying for it. Neither do I intend to take advantage of anyone else, as I am not that kind of guy. I do have every intention of buying another M37 from the Marshalls when they roll out their smaller gauges.

Please do not interpret this as a contentious post, as I give you credit for addressing a situation that you perceived as less than honest, and to which you took exception to. I do believe that if more people "got on their Soap Box" more often, and held people accountable for their actions, that the world would be a better place.

I do thank you for your suggestion of previewing the stocks via email before proceeding with the "extra wood" option. I would not have thought of that on my own. I personally do like nicer wood on my skeet and sporting clays guns, and that is why I buy the higher grade guns for the shotgun sports. But in the past I have not been that concerned about "nicer " wood on my hunting guns.

But again, let me assure you my comment about having "ball-busting material" was meant in jest. It seemed funny to me at the time, but of course I knew how I meant it. Looking back at it now, I can understand how you took it, and that I failed to effectively communicate my attempt at humor. My bad.
budrichard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Grousen, my Post was in no way directed at your Post. I understood your humor 100%!
I was referring to the myriad of Posts i have read over the years and lately concerning the RBL. To repeat, I did not direct my Post about your previous Post Very Happy
BTW I too am waiting for a 28 gauge Model 37 if Ithaca makes it and it will have spectacuar wood and old time Ithaca engraving coverage. -Dick
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't is amazing how in this day and age effective communication is not an exact science! And this is amongst us guys. No wonder I'm in my 50's and still don't understand women!!!!!!! Hard to believe I'm still married after these 30 years. Yah I know, poor woman.
bianchitim
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

wow that is a nice stock. what did the original one look like? maybe I should have gotten a upgrade stock from Ithaca instead of the black and blue laminate I got from Wenig. oh well maybe next time
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Grousen wrote:
Isn't is amazing how in this day and age effective communication is not an exact science! And this is amongst us guys. No wonder I'm in my 50's and still don't understand women!!!!!!! Hard to believe I'm still married after these 30 years. Yah I know, poor woman.

Grousen, its not that we are not able, it is more that they are unwilling to be understood unless they want to be for a particular thing. It comes under the strategy that if you can't beat them with brains or brawn, baffle them with BS. Every time I think I've got a woman figured out, she'll throw a change up my way. And so it goes.

I figured out a long time ago that it doesn't matter either. I don't try to understand them. I just accept the them BS and all. Making whoopie is a lot better when a woman is in the room with you. Laughing