16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Aleve for dogs.
quinletc
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I know this was already said, but DO NOT give your dog anything other than buffered asprin or something the vet prescribes. Doggie insides do not like human anti-inflamatory drugs.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote

My 12 year old arthritic lab has to have two Rimadyl tabs per day just to be able to walk around. Sometimes have to give her Hydrocodone too on real bad days. Now I just found out she has cancer as well. She's had a great life though and was the most doggedly determined retriever I've ever had.
Competitive is the way I would describe her. She hated to lose. The birds hated her. especially when they tried to outsmart her with tricks such as the old "cockbird double back". She read that stuff like a book after about 3 years old.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:

There is a comercial verion of supplement called "Flame-out", which is an engineered fish oil supplement with higher concentrations of the anti-inflamination fats than normal fish oil contains. It can be found out there on the entire web. I have some friends with knee/hip problems, and they swear by the stuff.

I used to give Heidi cod liver oil in her food every day. She loved it. however, I can understand why they call the new stuff flame out. you did not wan t to be standing behind her when the wind came up. Rolling Eyes
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,

I'll take what ever shoots and as far as land, send the titles to what ever you have. Very Happy

Don't worry, we'll shock you a couple times to make sure there is no response before the dirt. Wink

Huns,
I'll share what ever I collect from him. Laughing

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are too good to me. But, lets keep this our little secret. Otherwise everyone will want a piece of me.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
justintime2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Both in young dogs and older ones - I use Joint Health supplements from Springtime. For older dogs I usually give normal doses or double up if need be and young dogs I give 1/2 to normal dose. I believe that joint health needs to be a life long concern especially with working dogs. In addition, I've been using ester C because of recent findings linking vitamin C to joint health and ester C being better absorbed. If you must neuter or spay your animals, do it after they have developed. There are studies linking hormones released in sexual development which signal to stop bone growth - this is key to your animals development.
P.S. I also take joint health supplements and ester C - if it works for them and me it's a win/win.

IFL16's
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

quinletc wrote:
I know this was already said, but DO NOT give your dog anything other than buffered asprin or something the vet prescribes. Doggie insides do not like human anti-inflamatory drugs.

quinletc, that's not true in all cases. The Metacam my vet prescribed for my dog and the Mobic my doctor prescribed for me both say Meloxicam on the bottles. The dogs is liquid mine is pill form.

Larry
quinletc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I said buffered asprin AND anything your vet prescribes. Someone mentioned hydrocodone, which is used in humans, and we obviously take asprin. My point was, don't give your dogs OTC anti-inflamatories without checking with the vet.

Asprin is safe. Tylenol, Advil and Aleve are NOT safe for dogs. Other stuff, I don't know about.

Fish oil will help make your dog's coat look great and shed water better. Didn't know about the joint aspect of it, but good to know. Also have heard Vitamin C is good for them.
Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Guys, I have no dogs to treat for joint ailments, but I do own horses.

My wife uses feed supplements all the time. We own a mare that's 28 years old. That's quite old for a horse. Her weight and joints show it.

Before we stopped riding her a few years back, we had her on joint supplements for a few years before that. They really work great. She has no arthritis. She is merely a pasture horse now; but still a part of the family. When she needs it we give her aspirin. (Horses can take SEVERAL tablets at one time Shocked )

But, for your dogs, this supplement can be given to animals. Check with your local horse supply location and they might have it or something very similar. If you check with a vet, I'm sure these can likely be given to dogs but in much lower doses.

These things usually come in big containers and should last you for a very long time. Recommended dosages are usually 1 oz per 1,000lb of horse.

http://www.healthtechlabs.co.za/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&file=index&ceid=18

and here's another:

http://www.statelinetack.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441812281&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302050729&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302050707&bmUID=1172238607464&itemNo=0&Ntt=c25-122497&In=Horse&previousText=c25-122497&N=156695

Miss Libby