16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Any of you guys ever buy off Gunsamerica......??
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Never sold anything, but I bought a new 416 Rem mag rifle from a FFL dealer in Austin, Texas. I asked questions, he sent pics, I made an offer, he counter offered, I said it's a deal if you pick up the shipping charge. He agreed. I sent a certified bank check and my FFL's paperwork. I got the rifle in 1 week and transferred into my name for $20. I thought everything went pretty smooth. Click on pic for larger view.

britgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
Never sold anything, but I bought a new 416 Rem mag rifle from a FFL dealer in Austin, Texas. I asked questions, he sent pics, I made an offer, he counter offered, I said it's a deal if you pick up the shipping charge. He agreed. I sent a certified bank check and my FFL's paperwork. I got the rifle in 1 week and transferred into my name for $20. I thought everything went pretty smooth. Click on pic for larger view.

now there's a purty gun! thanks for the input, I'm gettin hopeful....

Bgun

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:17 am  Reply with quote

onrfunzr2: How big are them there whitetails up in your neck of the woods? Shocked

Matt
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

I should probably clarify my post in that if the seller is a reputable dealer with several guns listed and a history of good feedback, I wouldn't be too uncomfortable purchasing. I was referencing the one or two time seller with little history and not much to lose. If the seller has a reputable business and uses GA as an avenue to sell to a larger market, I see no reason not to trust them.

Hope that helps.

99.99% of all people are good people. Its the 0.01% that are buttheads and deserve the business end of the 16ga!

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
onrfunzr2: How big are them there whitetails up in your neck of the woods? Shocked

Matt

I bought it for Eland and cape buff, but I have no vault queens. So I cast 365 grain flatpoint bullets in front of 50 grains of XMP5744. I regulated it for 50 yards with the open sights. Alas, it is still a virgin as no deer came within range.

PA whitetails 101: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=150818
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
CitoriFeather16 wrote:

Matt

I bought it for Eland and cape buff, but I have no vault queens. So I cast 365 grain flatpoint bullets in front of 50 grains of XMP5744. I regulated it for 50 yards with the open sights. Alas, it is still a virgin as no deer came within range.

PA whitetails 101: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=150818

any wild hogs in your neck of the woods? It'd be fun to try it on them....

IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan, if the seller has a brick and mortar shop, an FFL, can take credit cards and has a land line at his home I see absolutely no problems. All those things can be checked.

The guys you have to worry about are the guys with no FFL and no land line, just a cell phone.

At a minimum I require at least a home phone number I can reverse check and some positive feedback and no negative if they've only bought and sold under 10 guns. If nothing else just the thought of someone knowing where you live should give pause for thought...

Just don't buy from anybody that you can't get some kind of a line on.

Larry
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

IFL16's wrote:
Duncan, if the seller has a brick and mortar shop, an FFL, can take credit cards and has a land line at his home I see absolutely no problems. All those things can be checked.

The guys you have to worry about are the guys with no FFL and no land line, just a cell phone.

At a minimum I require at least a home phone number I can reverse check and some positive feedback and no negative if they've only bought and sold under 10 guns. If nothing else just the thought of someone knowing where you live should give pause for thought...

Just don't buy from anybody that you can't get some kind of a line on.

Larry

thanks.....

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

No wild hogs, only the shooting preserve kind.
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Duncan,

I have purchased two from GA, and both sales were fine. One was from a private owner and the other from a dealer. Lots of questions, pictures, and even a phone call or two helped to re-assure me. It's a lot like Ebay. Look for the signs of suspicion such as no previous sales, lack of return email, bad feedback, etc. Once you have determined the credibility of the seller, it's just a matter of price.

Marc
bianchitim
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Hi

I never tried (or heard of) gunsamerica, maybe I'll look. I have bought two guns off gunbroker.com. one was shipped to my local gunshop all wnet well. the seller even sent me the owners manual a few months later COOL! the other was local so I was able to go to the sellers sho and pick it up. my only complaint is everyone seems to want what the gun cost new regardless of condition or age. I do understand a pre '64 winchester seeems to have some mythical value but why does does everything seem so over valued?

bianchitim
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

bianchitim, Web site sales don't have the advantage of negotiating a price like a gunshow dealer or even your local gunshop( I always make em throw in a box or 2 of shells,at least). So they ask the max price ( or beyond). If they are serious about selling, they will lower the reserve the next auction. Otherwise, they troll the net to see what the market will bear. Also, there are shipping and pkg. costs as well as auction fees that have to be dealt with. I also think the prices are high,but in all fairness, the gun business can be pretty tough nowdays.