16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington SP-16 wad Question
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:35 am  Reply with quote

I hardly ever use this wad, but they say you need filler with this wad and a 1 oz. load. Is it because the shoot doesn't fill the cup? Or, if you use a bulky enough powder to raise the wad. Can you use this wad without filler.
I'm talking in the Rem. G.L. hull. Thanks, Dave

citori16guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 am  Reply with quote

to load the sp16 with 1 oz i used a 1/8" thick x 1/2" diameter filler under the shot. it worked well but unfortunately the remington black hulls curl badly at the mouth for me and split after a few loadings. for a better combo try the red australian hulls from winchester ( super x game hulls ) with the BPI ( gulandi ) sporting 16 wad. this hull is identical to fiocchi hulls listed in ballistic products loading data, where they have some nice 7/8 & 1oz recipes. with an overshot card these hulls stay straight and last.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I count 5 recipes here: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/shotshel/16rempla.php

that use the SP-16 wad yet don't need a filler for 1 oz loads. Searching might yield even more.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:51 am  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
I count 5 recipes here: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/shotshel/16rempla.php

that use the SP-16 wad yet don't need a filler for 1 oz loads. Searching might yield even more.

Just because they post those loads, means you don't need filler, to get a good crimp? I don't know. Confused

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

The only 1 oz load I use with the sp16 is Win AA hull,Win 209 primer,29 gr blue dot,sp16 w/1 oz. It crimps pretty well I also use R16 wads with the same load its a little tight. I think its 9300 psi and 1275 fps.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, A basic rule of thumb in shotshell reloading is always fill the shot cup of any plastic wad up to at least even with the top of the petals. You can do this with shot or shot with card wad fillers under it.

If the powder charge is enough to put the top layer of shot close enough to the crimp folds, then the wad petals of an SP-16 will be higher by 1/8th of an inch and most likely get involved with the folds and the rim crease around the circumfrence. This will cause problems when the crimp opens and yanks the petals open along with it. The whole shot column will be distrubed right at the critical time of setback as the gas pressure slams into the wad base. This probably will not cause any dangerous pressures, but it will certainly not do the shot and wad column any good as it enters the forcing cone under peak pressure.

Best put a 28 ga., .135" card wad in the bottom of the shot cup to raise the shot up so 1 ounce of it fills the shot cup properly. your crimps and your shell performance will be better. Most good manuals will note when fillers are called for and what type is best to use.

You are also right about the loads listed that show no filler for a 1 ounce load using an SP-16 wad. Often times, these loads have been pirated out of another manual that might have noted the need for a filler wad or two. The reprinted data omits these notes often enough leaving the reloader with incomplete info. Just remember the rule of thumb above and you will not have any problems with crimps or shell performance.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I just went and weighed out 1 oz. of #8 lead shot, and poured it into an SP-16 wad. It just barely comes to the top of the shot cup. So, I guess if your getting pushed in crimps. You either add filler,(to raise the shot) use a bulkier powder,(to raise wad and shot) or trim your cases. Unless you want to change components.

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave:

I have been on a fools quest - trying to load 2-1/2" Cheddite hulls with 3/4 oz shot on a MEC 9000G without a filler. My current direction is RexIII powder from Grafs. It takes a MEC #30 bushing to get 17 grains. I am getting good crimps but I have not velocity tested the shells. My point is that the Rex III is bulky and gives moderate pressures according to the 16 gauge reloaders group. I hope to have sub 8,000 in the load I mentioned. Oh yeah - that is with an SG-15 wad. I plan to send off a half dozen to Tom Armbrust for testing next week.

best,

Mike