<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  An INSPIRATION to visit S. Dakota
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

OK - let me rephrase that then...

"The 2nd First Annual 16 Gauge Society KS Hunting Gathering"
IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

I was amazed when we were there in Dec!

In one field, I was doing nothing but turning circles. The birds were getting up all around us in droves, to the point where it was difficult to single out a rooster there were so many birds to look over.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Progress report:
1. Interesting conversation with Cordie Schlomer who runs the Snake Den Lodge in Presho. When he started guiding 15 yrs ago, there were about 40 lodges/outfitters in S. Dakota and there are now more than 300! He now has a 10 room lodge that can accomodate 32 hunters, has 10 guides working for them opening day (Oct 15), and is full Nov 8 & 9 with a group that has booked the entire lodge. He's had hunters from every state except Hawaii. His daily fee if you stay in the lodge is $275. The fee at Garnos Ranch is $500/day Shocked He observed what a huge economic impact pheasant hunting has had on the area around Presho and Winner.
2. Cordie recomended a guy who guides on a daily basis in the area.
3. I also talked with a previous contact who has property 'farmed' for pheasants and allows daily hunting for only $100 (most folks now charge $150-$250/day)
My plan right now is to arrive Presho Weds 11-7 and stay at Hutch's, hunt Th and Fri am then head on east to meet up with my doc buddies in Mitchell. I'll post some more infro about the daily guide if anyone wants to contact him.

sbs470
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I shot at phesant at White Lake SD in 2002.We had just had a week of shooting the World Creedmoor long range matches at Raton NM and my mate was giving me the grand tour of the US and we stopped at White Lake and shot at phesant for 2 days I got the hang of it in the long run.We were shooting black powder guns in another gauge.The funny thing was that the lady who cleaned the birds said that our birds wern't broken up like the ones shot with smokeless shells.After White lake I was taken to Cabelas at Mitchell.That was a great trip for this boy from Oz.

good shooting
sbs470