16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  650 MEC Primer Feed Problem...
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a little advice on how to correct a primer feed problem on my MEC 650?
When I'm on the down stroke the automatic primer feed drops the primer when the tube is still about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inche above the hole for the primer to seat in. Then it tumbles around...lands upside down, side ways, or not in the hole at all.
Is there a fix for this? Other than this minor problem, I've been thrilled with the results of this reloader. It crimps the hulls closed really nice...if I use a filler to bring the shot level up a bit with the 1 oz. load in a Federal Hull with G/BP wad, and 19.0 grains of Green Dot.
Thanks,
Rich

bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Rich:

I don't have a 650 - all grabbers ( 5 gauges) and 2 jrs for luck. However, all but one of my MECs have the old primer feed and when the primer drops prematurely (I'll catch it for using this word I am sure) I lengthen the chain a couple of beads (there is a pull chain one the old style primer feeds - looks like an old light pull). For short drops - lengthen the pull. For long drops (primer stays caught) - shorten the pull.

IF you have one of the new larger primer trays with an arm that is "timed" you will have to get the MEC instructions out - if you don't have any call MEC. My buddy had to set his "timing" but afterwards the primers drop like a charm (and you can load 2 boxes of primers).

good luck....

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

I am too much of a gentleman to make a remark about the premature dropping Twisted Evil that was the primer right Embarassed Shocked Hey bc---warm weather for this weekends shooting Cool Cool
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:30 am  Reply with quote

One of the good things about Mec is thier tech. info line. Sit down in front of your press and call them. The tech. guy will walk you right through any problem you might have.
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I called the boys at MEC this morning. They had my primer feed problem taken care of in a matter of minutes. Very good customer support!!
Thanks MEC. Laughing

sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Rich - maybe outline the solution for future generations - inquiring minds and all that...
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:21 am  Reply with quote

There is an "L" shaped metal strip held in place by a 1/8" allen head screw.
Loosen the screw, and the L shaped bar can be moved up or down to adjust the timing on the automatic primer feed. Adjust to the proper timing, lock down the allen head....Your Done!! Piece of cake.
Note: This is on the new enlarged (200 primers) primer feed that comes stock on the new MEC 650 progressive. I'm not sure if this holds true for other models of MEC's. Laughing