16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fortuna/merkel
jig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

anybody know anything about Fortuns SXS's? Found a used 1967 Fortuna that is supposed to compare to a 147E. What does that mean? I also ran into a Fortuna /merkel drilling and again have never heard of Fortuna. How did they partner with Merkel, or did they? Enlighten me please. Found this Fortuna/merkel for 2400 bucks and its real pretty. And, I never thought I'd say this, but I've got the SXS bug again already with all this talk about merkels around here. Plus, the first time around with Merkel i didnt have a good experience. So just to show you all how open minded (or dumb) I am I'm on the hunt once again. Rolling Eyes

Sick as ever,

Jig
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
anybody know anything about Fortuns SXS's? Found a used 1967 Fortuna that is supposed to compare to a 147E. What does that mean? I also ran into a Fortuna /merkel drilling and again have never heard of Fortuna. How did they partner with Merkel, or did they? Enlighten me please. Found this Fortuna/merkel for 2400 bucks and its real pretty. And, I never thought I'd say this, but I've got the SXS bug again already with all this talk about merkels around here. Plus, the first time around with Merkel i didnt have a good experience. So just to show you all how open minded (or dumb) I am I'm on the hunt once again. Rolling Eyes

Sick as ever,

Jig

wanna buy your Sterly back?? Sorry! I'm in love..... never heard of Fortuna, buy it and see how you like it, and then dump it off on me Very Happy

Duncan

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:35 am  Reply with quote

After WWII and the division of Germany into East and West zones, Sauer moved its operation from Suhl, in East Germany, to Eckernforde, in W. Germany. Meanwhile, back in Suhl, guns marked Merkel and Simson were both produced in the same factory--a place called Ernst Thalmann Works. That same factory also made guns marked Fortuna. Merkel, Sauer, and Simson side by sides all use the same designs anyhow, but Fortuna is usually considered to be the equivalent of an East German Sauer. Pretty good workmanship, although some people will say the post-war guns aren't as good as the pre-war. So, in short, you can indeed get a "Fortuna" that looks a whole lot like a Merkel 147E--but you should also pay less money, mainly because it doesn't say "Merkel" on it, even though it's basically the same gun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:49 am  Reply with quote

For not much more money, you could get a Merkel if you shop a bit. I'm betting the Merkel will retain its value far better and will be easier to have serviced if needed. $2400 is a lot to pay for a relatively unknown brand. I recently saw a 16 ga German gun built on a Merkel action for less than $1k. It was about 85%. I almost bought it, but the stock had too much drop. I'm willing to bet The stock could have been bent up and the total cost would be well under $2400.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Larry and 16GG:

No, this gun aint no 1000 dollar gun thats for sure. Its just that I'm not sure its a 2400 dollar gun either. It was made in 1967 but is very ship shape. No buggered screws, everything tight on face with shiny bores choked IC/Full. Its got 26 3/4" tubes, english straight stock and sling swivels - no dreaded cheek piece though. i don't know, prolly won't do it. I'm pretty intrigued with the 1620 or even the 1622. Not sure I care about the extra weight. In fact, I may like the extra weight. I'm not like that Britgun dude that likes them lighter the better Wink
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:26 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Thanks Larry and 16GG:

No, this gun aint no 1000 dollar gun thats for sure. Its just that I'm not sure its a 2400 dollar gun either. It was made in 1967 but is very ship shape. No buggered screws, everything tight on face with shiny bores choked IC/Full. Its got 26 3/4" tubes, english straight stock and sling swivels - no dreaded cheek piece though. i don't know, prolly won't do it. I'm pretty intrigued with the 1620 or even the 1622. Not sure I care about the extra weight. In fact, I may like the extra weight. I'm not like that Britgun dude that likes them lighter the better Wink

I dare say, old thing, you shan't mean me?? Smile

jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Just seeing if you were awake yet Duncan!! Shocked
Where's those pix???? C'mon, a true Montanan would be the cowboy of high tech. You can either take some low tech pix and scan then send. Or better yet take your digital camera out snap some photos - plug the camera into your computer and downlaod them. Believe me, if I can do it so can you. I'm so low tech I even misspelled download! Yep, I shoulda been born in the 1800's cuz then I coulda marodded through Montana and robbed you of your horses and your gun collection - you rascal. Of course there were no roosters or huns back then - but plenty of sharptails and sage hens and folks with horses and gun collections too. But then again, there was also a harsher judicial system that hung horse thieves with not much fanfare - oh well. Now adays I could prolly plead ignorance, with exhibit A as that lil gem of a Sterly I let go and now can't even revell in any photos! Mad
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:37 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Just seeing if you were awake yet Duncan!! Shocked
Where's those pix???? C'mon, a true Montanan would be the cowboy of high tech. You can either take some low tech pix and scan then send. Or better yet take your digital camera out snap some photos - plug the camera into your computer and downlaod them. Believe me, if I can do it so can you. I'm so low tech I even misspelled download! Yep, I shoulda been born in the 1800's cuz then I coulda marodded through Montana and robbed you of your horses and your gun collection - you rascal. Of course there were no roosters or huns back then - but plenty of sharptails and sage hens and folks with horses and gun collections too. But then again, there was also a harsher judicial system that hung horse thieves with not much fanfare - oh well. Now adays I could prolly plead ignorance, with exhibit A as that lil gem of a Sterly I let go and now can't even revell in any photos! Mad

hold you water, son.....PM me with your email, and I will oblige you....I actually DO know how to email photos, just dunno how to post em on the site.....DDDUUUHHHHHHH....

I'll get on it.... you may cry, however, she is so purty now.....

Duncan