16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Opinions wanted
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I've watched many of his auctions over the years and couldn't believe he got away with selling some of the guns he did. That bent release lever is just horrid. I e-mailed him about it, we'll see what he says. Wink
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

SShooterZ wrote:
I've watched many of his auctions over the years and couldn't believe he got away with selling some of the guns he did. That bent release lever is just horrid. I e-mailed him about it, we'll see what he says. Wink

That's the new and improved Fishtail Top Lever. Sad

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe we could get Larry Brown to write an article about guys like this.

Hey Larry... you out there? Is it possible? It would probably need to be vague to protect this bas$%*d, even though he doesn't deserve it. But it could also be educational.

Gun writers are always looking for something to write about. Although, this could also fill an entire book.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

maybe we ought to email him this thread, maybe he would knock it off if he knew so many were on to him??

fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

The bids may often start low on gunbroker,but if you have the time to cross check, you'll find many of the same guns on the GunsAmerica site. On GA you can see how much he expects to get out of them and it ain't anywhere near the low starting bid. His reserve is not often met on Gunbroker. I have seen him recently post some decent looking untouched guns. I wouldn't have aproblem with bidding on them. That said, IMHO if the gun has any any any refinishing at all I personaly would not let myself become the least bit curious.

mtjim
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:17 am  Reply with quote

Does ED have a storefront business?

If so, It would be interesting to visit him and just take a look at his operation.

Last edited by mtjim on Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:04 am  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
maybe we ought to email him this thread, maybe he would knock it off if he knew so many were on to him??

Duncan,

I would think that he already knows. I am also sure he has received correspondence from so many people over time. He's already changed his "handle" a few times, and I've only known about him on this forum. Check out how long (or short) of a time I've been a member. He is obviously one person who abuses the internet to take advantage of people.

The only thing we can do is recommend to all those we know to only buy from a reputable dealer.

britgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
britgun wrote:

Duncan,

I would think that he already knows. I am also sure he has received correspondence from so many people over time. He's already changed his "handle" a few times, and I've only known about him on this forum. Check out how long (or short) of a time I've been a member. He is obviously one person who abuses the internet to take advantage of people.

The only thing we can do is recommend to all those we know to only buy from a reputable dealer.

that's good advice, PGG, same here, I only found out about him from this site, too.... so when is your Sterly coming, bro? Smile

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I'm using the 5 day rule. I'll go back to the store on Tuesday (the same day some big deposits clear my bank) and look at it again. The big problem is that I've also seen a nice 6 lb Clark and Son 16 ga. with nice engraving, and sleeved 28" barrels for only a few bucks more. I tend to shoot 28" barrels better. I also tend to buy 26" barrels way too much.

So, enter the dilemma. The shorter classic yank double in a rarely seen condition. Or the classic British Boxlock in a better barrel length. right now, I'm leaning to the idea that a brit gun should be in 2 1/2" twelve. Which is essentially a sixteen. And the classic yanks are getting more and more rare.

And, I had planned on buying a O/U for my nephew. That plan is now on hold. I may have to change my handle to "Selfish Gun Guy".

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:57 am  Reply with quote

There have been many, many threads on doublegun.com about ol' Ed. Many have emailed him, tried to go see guns in person, etc.. So Ed is very aware of the opinion of him that's out here. My understanding is that he's been totally uncooperative; will not let anyone come to view a listing, or pick up a gun in person after a purchase, will not respond to questions about or critizisms of his listings, etc. I've never had any personal dealings with him, so this is coming from my memory of what I've read on other boards.

The point is, I don't think a campaign to change him or try to shut him down is going to have any effect. The only thing that will work is if people quit buying his offerings. And yet, he has acceptable feedback ratings, which just goes to show that P.T. Barnum was spot on.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Fin is right. He damn sure knows what knowledgeable gun guys think about him but he's so arrogant he actually thinks his is a kinder gentler way of putting colors back on the actions and that the traditional way is dangerous and damaging. He's now describing his way as a safe low heat/chemical process. Never mind that they look God awful and have absolutely no resemblance to their original state. It's just a way of trying to squeeze a few extra dollars from uninformed buyers with a cheap quick fix or in this case a cheap quick abomination.

Larry