16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Hatfield 16 ga
fastarget
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Anyone own a Hatfield, and knows anything about them....thanks
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:33 am  Reply with quote

These guns were sold through Bill Hanus. I'd start there. You might look into where the gun was made. I've heard they were made in either Turkey, or Italy. I also heard they were made in the USA. The gun should have a maker's mark and country of origin on it. I'd look into this closely.

I do know they were rather high priced originally and do not hold their resale value well. Both guns I saw eventually sold for a lot less than the used asking price. Check the gun out well before you buy it including down the barrels. Any curved bores or irregularities? Then pass on it .Good luck.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Depends on whether you're talking current or previous Hatfield. Back in the 80's I think, Hatfield--which was a black powder rifle outfit down in MO--started selling doubles. The guns were made in Italy but stocked here in the States with gorgeous curly maple. I had one, 20/28 2-barrel set. Nice enough gun, but the curly maple cracked behind the tang. They fixed it for me once, it cracked again, I got rid of it. You'll occasionally see them around, used, but I don't think they were offered in 16.

Current production Hatfields are actually Huglus from Turkey. I think Paul Crosnoe had a bunch of them on his list. I played with a prototype in 28ga and there was a problem with the barrel blue. Haven't had my hands on one since.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I think the McCoy corporation bought them out in the early 80's Embarassed Twisted Evil Shocked Wink
nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Here is their website:

http://www.hatfieldshotguns.com/

Also, the Kimber Valier is made by them. So if you've seen one of them you've seen a Hatfield.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they are making the new Smith & Wesson SxS as well.

fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, nice looking guns, just in that price range i may prefer other than Turkish made........
16ga.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

18mar07

I was given one in the early 80's as a gift, a 20. They were just getting started out of St. Joseph, MO. I can echo Larry's comments. It was solid and reliable but for some reason I didn't shoot it much. I eventually loaned it to a friend who was just getting started... never saw it again.

I think someone commented once that the engraving looked like it was done by a chimp with a nail... thanks, --16ga.

Semper Limitae
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Nutcase, the Kimber Valier may or may not be made in the same factory as the Hatfields, but it's not at all similar to the Turkish Hatfield I saw, which is a boxlock like the CZ's rather than a fancy sidelock like the Valier. As for the S&W Turkish guns, those are made in a separate factory, which is owned and operated by S&W.
nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Larry:

The Hatfield website shows pictures and specifically mentions a 7 pin sidelock gun. Even a link titled Kimber America(didn't click on it.)

The guns you and 16ga. mention in your posts are probably quite different guns judging from the descriptions.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Nutcase--The previous (Italian-made) Hatfields were totally different guns, and they go back almost 20 years now. Turkish guns . . . Hatfield started out importing boxlocks, which look very much like CZ's. (Our Ruffed Grouse Society chapter is about to take possession of one of those for this year's banquet.) There are also sidelocks (several different models, at least 3 different ones shown for sale on Paul Crosnoe's website), but they sell for a good bit less than the Kimber Valiers--like about $1500 less, at least by Crosnoe's prices. Could be they're made in the same plant, but if they're the same gun, then Kimber is charging a whole lot for the Kimber name!

S&W is most definitely a different gun, made in a different plant. All explained on the S&W website.
dbadcraig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

As others have stated, the older Hatfields were all 20ga and they were box locks. I have a pair, one field grade the other a higher grade (the field grade now belongs to my 15 year old daughter). Both are very nice shotguns.

There was an article in the American Rifleman a few months ago on these new production Hatfield guns.
fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Hatfield's website shows some pretty guns, the Kimber link and lists Kimber as a service center for repairs and warranty issues.
They must have confidence in the guns since they offer a heirloom warranty.............all the new ones are turkish made like kimber ....boy do they have beautiful wood....
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Think CZ Ringneck or the Bobwhite if you want two triggers instead of the single selective model on the Ringneck. The price will be about 1/4 and either will handle about as well in 28 or .410. The 12 and 16 are heavy (same frame).
20 ga guns bore me.

I'd also look into a used Spanish Double of better quality in 16 or 20. you will get at least as good a gun at a far better price. There are much better 12 gauge deals around including some very nice used British doubles for far less money. The British guns will have perfect barrels. So will a quality Spanish gun.

You could also buy a good Merkel for less and have a gun that shoots and handles well, and will hold its value like a bulldog latched on a postman's butt. Merkels are also noted for good barrels. Everything else, check down those bores carefully. If they look out of wack, they are. Just a thought.