16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Citori comes home
J.B.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all, I picked up my 16ga Citori from my dealer today. It has really plain wood and has me wondering if I can order a higher grade set from Browning? Has anyone here gone this route before? Thanks, Jon
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:33 am  Reply with quote

I'm assuming its a grade I lightning. Browning wood sets go for nearly 1K for a plain grade I replacement. Figured wood will add weight, sometimes considerable weight. If you bought the gun for hunting, I'd think on it. The stock is going to get banged up over the next few years. I'd live with it until it really is time to refinish it, then have it done by someone who has a way with wood and knows how to bring out any good characteristics there. A good staining job and a hand rubbed oil finish will make that stock look 100% better.

Figured walnut, even marginally good walnut, is getting scarce around the world, because of demand. The turks are now holding on to their walnut since their gun industry is taking off. The Italians are resorting to grain enhancing techniques, which amount to painted on figure. This is nothing new. Weatherby has been doing this for decades. Good American black walnut is getting scarcer by the day. People are buying even marginally figured blanks and hoarding them like gold. The market is a little nuts right now.

This will change as gunmakers find alternatives to walnut. Both target and hunting guns are getting away from wood stocks all together. There has been a lot of resistance from the traditonally minded among us. However, plastic and graphite stocks are lighter, stronger, more damage resistant, and far more stable. They can be molded with adjustable combs and butts built right in. the weight distribution in them can be presicely controlled. And the best shotgunners among us are learning to use these advantages on the competition fields around the world. In time, everyone will be turning to them. All those maginally figured, hoarded blanks will be so much kindling as we move away from wood. Only the rweallyprimo stuff will retain its value for exhibition pieces.

However, during this time of flux, good walnut, even mediocre walnut is priced sky high. The guns that wear it are too. I'd live with the stock you have and put your money into more important things. I'd spend the time and money on ammo to perfect my shooting and let that shut the "my gun is prettier than your gun" dilettantes up. Nobody with any brains that I know would have the b*lls to snub a truely accomplished shot because his stock wood is a little plain, at least to his face. Only under talanted no nothing idiots pull this malarky. Its called compensating. Besides, outshooting these types with a plain but well wielded shotgun drives them up the wall. Laughing Just my opinion.
J.B.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

I am a sucker for nice wood so I called Browning today and ordered a new stock set. The folks at browning were very nice to work with. The price is not quite as high as 16gg quoted and I will see if it was worth it when it gets here. I still have the new grade one set to offset the price. I will post pictures as well as a total price after all is said and done.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

JB,

Good for you. I've often thought about different wood for my Citori Feather. Now that I only use the gun for trap and clays I might just go ahead and put new wood on her.

I've got my Merkel 47E out to Wenigs right now getting upgraded wood on her. Their extra fancy level English Walnut runs $1400 for the stock and forend, fit to the gun. They also had American Walnut for the same price.

I may send them the Feather once I see the wood and work on the Merk. Wink

Hope your factory upgrade comes in looking good. What level wood did you get from Browning?

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Call MidWest Gunworks.

They have a lot of stock and forearm sets and I can't see it costing more than $300 - $500 for a complete set. Unless less you get the super duper fancy grade V stuff.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 am  Reply with quote

I don't think MWGW has any 16 gauge wood. I'd guess the only sure source is Browning. Its not possible to just buy any old Citori stock and forend. It is not that simple. The new 16 ga. guns take the type 4 stock and forend. The older 16 Gauge guns take a type 3 long tang stock. The forends are also gauge specific with different inletting patterns over the years. Browning service policy usually insists that they fit the wood themselves.

For our info, just how much did your new wood cost from Browning? Did they cut you a discount to help make you happy or are they doing this under their service warranty? Does that include the labor? If they aren't fitting the stock, who is doing the work for you?

Browning is very good about going the extra mile to satisfy its customers, especially if you talk to the right folks in the right way. The last retail price I was quoted for a new first quality replacement grade I stock and forend was over $900 retail including the labor to fit it. However, an exchange of wood might be covered under warranty if the wood does not meet their criteria. The cost of an upgrade would be charged back to the customer. The Browning service rep also said they would not sell a stock and forend unless they did the work to make sure it went on correctly. That was a few years ago. I don't know if their policy has changed about the fitting issue. I can only assume higher grade wood than grade I is more money. So if you got higher grade wood for less, then you've done very well. Good luck with the gun. Keep us informed how it goes. Thanks.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I broke my 10ga Stalker buttstock at the wrist, called Arnold, MO and they sold me a new one that I fitted myself. Perhaps fitting wood is different.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Life is too short to settle for mediocre wood on any gun you are going to spend time with..........good move J.B.!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

A pump or Semi auto stock is much easier to replace. An O/U stock has more complex inletting and difference issues to address. Same for the forend.