16%  [ 23 ]
70 or older
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 136

Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Doc06 wrote:
Well....I guess I qualify as one of the whipper snappers having been born to fit into the 2nd category, just before Elvis' passing. I, however, learned the value of the 16 early. My Grandfather, rest his soul, started thinning his collection of guns before he passed. I was the proud owner of an Ithaca model 37 before I turned 15. I was mainly a killer of bushytails back then, long since graduating to the uplands in pursuit of any gamebird that is within hunting distance. I have to admit...I'm addicted. I have a total of 5 16's that sit in my gun cabinet as we speak, the oldest of which, a 1895 #3 LC Smith, is almost 4 times my age!

Doc06, you can never be too young to appreciate a good 16ga. My father and grandfather weren't using 16s when I was a kid so I started with a 12 (after the ubiquitous .410). But 16ga's were fairly common at that time though. Some buddies that I hunted with had their family hand-me-down 16s. I grew up in E. Texas and there was very little to hunt in those days in those parts except song birds and an occasional wabbit or squirrel.

XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:45 am  Reply with quote

In 1968, I recieved my own first shotgun as a birthday present- a Remington 1100 16 bore with 28" vent rib barrel and modified choke. I used my uncle's 16 Remington sportsman prior to that, and my dad shot a Remington model 11 16. Obviously I was set on the right path early on! Very Happy My only regret is that I don't have any of these fine fireams now, but I am trying to make up for that with a SxS 16 that I'm getting soon. Who would have thought that almost 40 years later I'm coming full circle back to the perfect shotgun bore and joining an organization that is committed to preserving it! Laughing
gspchip
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Just recently joined, but I fall into the large group.... average once again!!
O..well..... as long as we are happy I guess......
jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:34 am  Reply with quote

The true ol farts club doesnt begin until the 50+category which is the predominant age on the site
old16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Well by this fall I will be in the 2nd cat. form the bottom. I still got most of my hair but it used to be dark. Since I don't wear a hat I think the sun is bleaching it out. I can't find any of the dark stuff. Most of my 16's are younger than me, but I do have some that is older and more graceful than me.

popplecop
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:39 am  Reply with quote

In order to get a 16 older than me I had to find an Ithaca Flues. I guess that makes me a Sr. Citizen.
Huntschool
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

I am 60. My first 16ga was a Robust back in 1957. Damn thing had short chambers and no one knew it. Kicked like hell with the old Winchester paper hulls.

My most recent favored 16 is the JP Sauer I posted two weeks ago. Side lock made in 1897.

Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III