16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Polished turd-a worthy proposition of a waste of resourses?
gspchip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

My thoughts..... its all in what the individual gets out of the experience..for me, I like to redo the wood on a gun that is in good functional shape... also for some reason I really enjoy just cleaning up the old dry oil and crud that has built up over years of use.... these are the things that I am good at and am not too interested in sending something out to get worked on...of course after doing that I like walking around behind my old GSP carrying one of them....

The thing I hope for most is when I hand them down to my son and grandsons they can first of all utilize them and then think about dad/grandad having worked on them and redid this or fixed that and also used it....
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

prussian, cause I had a suck day at work , and it was easy. My profuse appologizes, I was being cadish.

jig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

Polishing a turd can result in some of the best gun deals one can ever make. There are many examples, but I will give one.

Go to almost any gunshop USA, buy yourself a rough Browning Superposed Lightning that is cheap because the top lever is well left of center and the action is all sloppy. Prices will range based upon the rest of the exterior from $500.00 - maybe 800.00 tops. Buy the gun, send it to Arts and have hime do a rebuild for about $250.00 bucks. You will then have a gun better than most, and it will be ready to shoot thousands, upon thousands of rounds. Heck, $250.00 bucks goes a long way in that case in polishing that turd. I saw two 20 GA Superposed Lightnings freshly returned from Arts about a month ago at my favourite gunshop who's been doing a lot of that lately to build up their superposed inventory. They were beautifull and almost looked brand new. They are selling these rebuilds for considerably less than market value for used 20GA supers which can be as high as 4,000.00 and average about 3,000.00. They are selling them for about 2,000.00. The funny thing is, they are in better shape than most of the more expensive original condition 20GA supers - just don't have the collector value - and they are up front about that. And while there may be a nay sayer or two on this site regarding the superposed, many of us believe they are still one of the finest, and most well balance handlers ever made.
Too bad they didnt make any 16GA's otherwise we'd all be going crazy over them - especially if they were made on the 20GA frame. I'm hoping I run into a junker 20GA super one of these days when i have some extra cash to send to Arts! For those of you that don't know Art was a long time Browning employee and knows the superposed inside out.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 am  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
I agree with you Brad about restoration on a fine gun that stays in the family generation to generation, but we are talking about a seriously expensive, finely crafted, hand built hierloom in most cases. These guns are mostly owned by folks with serious money and a long aristocratic heritage.

You lost me right there Guy - there is no need for me to read the rest of your typings.

By assuming that only well-to-do folks purchasing what are only now considered finely crafted and blahblahblah...back then craftsman meant more than a trade mark brand of tools Wink

My Dad's 1965 A-5 is priceless - not Visa priceless - just priceless - KTP will give me $125 and stick on the rack for $450 but I'll be damned if it gets that far.

My parents did not earn a lot of money in their lifetime and we kids each have our own heirlooms that we each cherish - I happen to get the hunting/fishing/wrenching stuff. My parent's parents made even less and it spread twice as far due to the number of mouths in the house.

The rare specimens produced by all the manufacturers back in the day weren't for everybody but I'll bet you there's more folks hanging onto "Gampa's ole gun that was a plain jane hardware store bought with pennies scrimped and saved for months and after all that they had to sell x to get it..." than there are ultra hi-gh grade guns handed down by blue bloods with money older than the Kennedys and Sweeneys.

I think you missed the point on what makes an heirloom such treasure - it's the providence, not the construction or builder.

Get of your high horse and recognize that we're not talking about ultra rare specimens here - just ordinary, no longer manufactured and becoming increasingly hard to locate guns.

I'll finish reading your typing now. thanks for listening.

I want my 2 minutes back...

Sprocket, you might have lost the thread of this thread. My response was in reference to fine English doubles and how these guns are traditionally kept in a family from generation to generation. Its more of an English Aristocratic cultural heritage thing. We Americans just do not do this kind of thing normally. We use them up and discard them. That is our heritage. Very few American guns made after the civil war were handbuilt like fine English doubles. We use mass produced, easily replaced guns, tools, cars, etc. Most folks don't preserve working class stuff. This goes for working class English folks too. Not everyone in England is a wealthy aristocrat.

If you are talking about a personal family heirloom, its the exception and not the rule to give it a facelift and to keep it in use. Most average income families just store the gun unfixed, unrestored in the attic for a couple of generations until circumstances lead to selling it off, turning it in to the local authorities for disposal, or simply tossing it out. Very few old, neglected guns get a facelift and a new life.

Some fine American guns from wealthy estates are sold at auction once in a while or held within the family, generation to generation. However, the very best or these are almost always mostly for private display and not shot a lot. Even wealthy Americans tend to use working class guns for hunting and regular target work. That is because most Americans from rich to poor envision themselves as middle class and do not usually display power and wealth. Its considered to be in bad taste. Its how we Americans behave We fought a revolutionary war to end this type of behavior here. Your resentment, even from misunderstanding my post, proves this. We Americans traditionally resent being lorded over, regardless of the reality that there is a class structure in this country. hope this clears it up.
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:45 am  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
sprocket wrote:
I was holding one just yesterday...I picked it up and every clay in the case next to the counter broke in fear.

holding one what? the Merkel or the Fox? (pant pant....)

Merckel - sorry
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Guy,
My basic frustration was more with the mention of rare gems & show pieces vs. the workhorse guns - my original post even mentions this - than with class descriptions, etc (insert Monty Python quote here).

Sure the thread will wander where it will go and yes I missed the switching of the gears as it was not my intent to switch gears...The basic math of high-end units produced vs. standard models implies that an "ordinary" old double or repeater would be the subject - I'm not a pump guy so that leaves me with doubles or A-5 (the latter due to family connections).

I'm sorry for getting "thick with you" as my Irish Ex would say. Frustrations are running high with me lately and in classic fashion, I've vented at the wrong direction - Again, I sincerely apologize to you for my poor behavior.

And now that you've expounded on the rarities - what are your thoughts on getting an H&R Topper sent out for some gold inlay & choke tubes? Smile
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:17 am  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
britgun wrote:
sprocket wrote:
I was holding one just yesterday...I picked it up and every clay in the case next to the counter broke in fear.

holding one what? the Merkel or the Fox? (pant pant....)

Merckel - sorry

it's OK,I'll get over it...

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I think you should draw a pint of Guiness, sit down and ponder on that one a wee bit me bucko. After 3 or 4 pints, things should appear to be improving a might. Wink

PS: It's totally understandable. Every time the subject of the bloody English and their fancy pants guns comes up, so do the hairs on the back of my own neck. You see, I'm somewhat of an Irish rebel myself. They can all kiss my rosy red...well you get my point. Laughing
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:26 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I think you should draw a pint of Guiness, sit down and ponder on that one a wee bit me bucko. After 3 or 4 pints, things should appear to be improving a might. Wink

PS: It's totally understandable. Every time the subject of the bloody English and their fancy pants guns comes up, so do the hairs on the back of my own neck. You see, I'm somewhat of an Irish rebel myself. They can all kiss my rosy red...well you get my point. Laughing

What? - you don't like Toppers!?
old16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I have bought several old sxs, and pumps , Ithica, Win, and so on. All of them were about as good lookinga as somebody's dog with rickets.
I reblued them, refinished the wood, new sights, recut checkering. some needed new firing pins. I had two lefevers that needed new guts on the inside of the action. I did all the work my self so I didn't have all the expense of labor. I did end up selling them for a handsome sum. One fellow I sold to traded for a reconditioned antique tractor.
The point is if I didn't do what I did they would probably never had been used again. These guys that think a gun is more valuable if left alone when it is about shot must come from the same breed that said game get lead poisoning from lead so its ok to wound the hell out of the animals and not get the game from all this non toxic shot. Ya sure.

Roper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocket, when you get that turd polished, come on out and shoot some Washington grouse with it... Wink
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

It's good to go right now - when's the season open?

I plan to take more trips for hunting purposes instead of dreaming about them - get busy living or get busy dying.
Fluesy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Ahh Yes the Fine Art of Turd Polishing, A Turd Polishing is what started me on this adventure that has taken in a number of SxS's and O/U's. 16 Guage no Less. Most People would have thrown my Flues away, it was a sad buckaroo. The stock was broken and missing large hunks, the metal finish was somewhere between Bad and Not. One side wouldn't fire, it was challenged to say the least. It is restocked, all the things work the way they are supposed to, it has taken game. Was it worth it, probably not, but it's priceless to me. What an education and it doesn't look too bad either. The Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, I bought a Parker trojan that is cosmetically challenged, the poor lovely thing has a few freckles on the outside a little blue remaining on the barrels, the action is progressing to that earned grayish color. It whispered to me when I first held it, Psssst, I think I still have a Few Birds left in Me, Wanna Play. Gasp, alas it is a 16-4 bore but I believe it was the secret prototype the germans based the Merkel Laser-Guided Pheasant Wrecking System on. What a joy to hunt with, it has a turdish look. If I was so inclined to refinish it, so what if somebody doesn't think it would be worth it. It is another of those Diamonds in Waiting, someday maybe, but Yes Turd Polishing is Acceptable, Desireable and we find value in doing the right thing. I hope some day I get a Grandson who is a hunter, I could really put a smile on his face.
My $.02 Worth
Chet

berg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

[quotePrussian Gun Guy
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 pm
hunshatt wrote:
sproc , old boy, I'z can't stand it anymore. IF you got 3k burnin a hole in your carharts then pony up to the bar and purchase he finest pheasent killin, lazer beam of a 16ga... the veritable merkel 1620, if you ani't got the ching, then one of merks red headed step brothers, like a simson 1-2k, and if your really at the bottom of the barrel the I'll bet prussian got a sauer or 2 he'd give up for the price of a bag of dog feed.

How'd I get dragged into this?[/quote]

I don't know but but I got a couple of bags of dogfood for one of them Sauers !!!
My golden, toby, can eat table scraps for a month or so. Laughing

berg
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

Gents - thank you All for you input and opinion on the topic - it is clear that an Object cannot be all things to all men.

I understand my personal stance on the topic and will try to rescue those items that I deem worthy of my attention and detail.

In the meantime, I wish you all many happy 16's in whatever flavor they come to you - rough, sweet and in between.

I hope all who read this understand on a personal level the message I was trying to convey.

Cheers to those Items we all hold dear to us - 16 bores!