16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  couple of 16 bore Elsies at fair prices.....
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:56 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gulfcoastguns.com/gun_inventory.htm

The NID is coming my way, even though old George hasn't put "Pending" on there yet..... and I think txshootist has the Sterly, evn though old George hasn't marked it "Sold"....

if you call, ask him every question you can think of, but so far, I've been real happy with him.....

brit

txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:26 am  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
http://www.gulfcoastguns.com/gun_inventory.htm

The NID is coming my way, even though old George hasn't put "Pending" on there yet..... and I think txshootist has the Sterly, evn though old George hasn't marked it "Sold"....

if you call, ask him every question you can think of, but so far, I've been real happy with him.....

brit

Duncan,

That straight stocked 16 has my curiosity up. He says it is a re-stock, but it looks very professional. Just what I need, another 16 SxS. I didn't notice any other red flags.

Marc
03 Guy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently you fella's don't mind the chokes? F/F

I agree that the guns are priced fair but I would pay more if they were more usable chokes. Even F/M would be a consideration.

I just picked up a "Smith" that supposedly has IC/M and feel lucky to find it even though it is not as nice as the 2 pictured here. I say supposedly because there was some question as to the exact choke configuration when I bought it but I will test and if need be get them opened up to IC/M, if they aren't already.

What is it with these guns, did they use tighter chokes back "when" because of less potent ammunition or were the birds that much tougher 40+ years ago? Wink
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

03 Guy wrote:
Apparently you fella's don't mind the chokes? F/F

I agree that the guns are priced fair but I would pay more if they were more usable chokes. Even F/M would be a consideration.

I just picked up a "Smith" that supposedly has IC/M and feel lucky to find it even though it is not as nice as the 2 pictured here. I say supposedly because there was some question as to the exact choke configuration when I bought it but I will test and if need be get them opened up to IC/M, if they aren't already.

What is it with these guns, did they use tighter chokes back "when" because of less potent ammunition or were the birds that much tougher 40+ years ago? Wink

.....back then they used fibre wads, and no plastic shot cup, so the chokes were more open because the shot wasn't futher "scrunched tight" by a plastic shot cup....

I ALWAYS open the chokes on these sorts of guns to make them useable, it is not expensive to have some choke restriction removed, and it hasn't seemed to hurt the value of the gun. You would always be able to sell an IC/MOD gun for near what you paid, I should think, unless it was a really high grade gun, and originality was a major concern to the collector type buying it. Otherwise, it won't hurt your value.

When I sold English guns, I nearly always opened them to IC/MOD at the tightest before importing them to the states. Many times, I'd go SKT (right)and IC (or SKT II to L.MOD in the left), and people were even more apt to buy it, rather than a M/F configuration. Just my opinion. With modern shot cups, the patterns throw tighter than days of yore.

Duncan

03 Guy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:17 am  Reply with quote

You are probably correct with the 'shot cup' theory. I didn't take that into consideration.

Since I reload for the 16ga and have fiber wads from days of yore, which I have not used or thought of in quite a while, I will pattern the two types of shells and see what difference it makes.

Getting the chokes opened up a bit still appeals to me, though. Measuring my 16ga with a micrometer they look to be M/F as based on the choke measurements in Brophy's book about the L.C. Smith. I do think that a bonified IC/M for modern ammunition would be better if I ever sell the gun[/img]
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:28 am  Reply with quote

03 Guy wrote:
You are probably correct with the 'shot cup' theory. I didn't take that into consideration.

Since I reload for the 16ga and have fiber wads from days of yore, which I have not used or thought of in quite a while, I will pattern the two types of shells and see what difference it makes.

Getting the chokes opened up a bit still appeals to me, though. Measuring my 16ga with a micrometer they look to be M/F as based on the choke measurements in Brophy's book about the L.C. Smith. I do think that a bonified IC/M for modern ammunition would be better if I ever sell the gun[/img]

let me know how your tests come out with paper wads vs. plastic cups...