16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  4 rounds skeet - cheddite paper hulls
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Loaded up 4 boxes of the new Cheddite Paper Hulls (from Grafs) with 1 oz 7.5s last night and shot them this morning at Town and Country Gun Club in Maryville IL. I used the gualandi 16 ga wads.

Shells performed flawlessly (my efforts not the best, ended up with a 92). After firing, the mouths opened up perfectly round - and they sure smelled good Very Happy I shot them in the sissytori, can't wait to shoot them in Ms. Guild!

I have reloaded a box of the once-fired paper hulls already - I need to make a slight crimp depth adjustment - other than that the once-fired reloads look great. I am going to keep reloading these 100 each week to see how long they last (I have 2500 so burning up the first 100 shouldn't hurt too much Wink ).

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

bc-keep us posted on the life of the hulls----howscome you use 1oz of 71/2's for skeet?????I run a 3/4 oz load all the time ----with home shot and overshot wad Wink
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

HOA:

I have a 3/4 oz loading in the 16 ga remington black hulls using the 20 ga gualandi wad.

I don't like putting in a bean or a card, or a filler so in the cheddites I just use a 1 oz load and get good crimps.

Dr. 16 Gauge
mdoerner
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Did you use the normal MEC plastic crimp starter? Or something else to start your crimps?

Mike Doerner
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Mike:

I'm working with my 16 ga MEC Grabber. I have the crimp starter (yes, plastic) set so it starts pretty deeply. I have found the plastic cheddites to need this to stay crimped when new.

In regards to the paper - it is thin as you know and crimps right up. I had good success with the new, primed hulls and now with the once-fireds.

The last 2 crimping stations are set a little deep and I get a couple of minor little folds on the edges. This is also due to the fact that my one ounce loads with 15.5 grains green dot don't fill up to the very top and on the plastic cheddites there is a little cup in the crimp.

For now in this test - a couple of minor folds works for me. I'm more curious about how they hold up over time Cool

I am definitely not crushing any hulls yet Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
Gentlemen:

Loaded up 4 boxes of the new Cheddite Paper Hulls (from Grafs) with 1 oz 7.5s last night and shot them this morning at Town and Country Gun Club in Maryville IL. I used the gualandi 16 ga wads.

Shells performed flawlessly (my efforts not the best, ended up with a 92). After firing, the mouths opened up perfectly round - and they sure smelled good Very Happy I shot them in the sissytori, can't wait to shoot them in Ms. Guild!

I have reloaded a box of the once-fired paper hulls already - I need to make a slight crimp depth adjustment - other than that the once-fired reloads look great. I am going to keep reloading these 100 each week to see how long they last (I have 2500 so burning up the first 100 shouldn't hurt too much Wink ).

Thanks for the report, can't wait to mess with mine...very encouraging... Smile