16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll vs. 6 point crimps
txshootist
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 am  Reply with quote

I noticed in the data posted on the Low Pressure Group that a 2 1/2" Cheddite 6 point hull was actually roll crimped. Does this affect pressure significantly or at all? Just trying to figure out why roll vs. folded. My apology up front if my question sounds elementary. I'll be transitioning from rifle to shotshell reloading in the near future and just want to get my facts straight.

Thanks,
Marc
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Don't really understand your question. What do you mean by: that a 2 1/2" Cheddite 6 point hull was actually roll crimped.

Normally a roll crimped load will be of lower pressure than a fold crimp, but not always. Nothing is absolute in loading. Follow the load data.

txshootist
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
Don't really understand your question. What do you mean by: that a 2 1/2" Cheddite 6 point hull was actually roll crimped.

Normally a roll crimped load will be of lower pressure than a fold crimp, but not always. Nothing is absolute in loading. Follow the load data.

Dave,
Unless I misunderstood the data, it clearly stated in the remarks section of the data that the shell was roll crimped. However, under the hull listing, it clearly stated the use of a Cheddite 2 1/2" 6 point plastic shell. Curious?

Marc
txshootist
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:19 am  Reply with quote

I guess there is nothing preventing one from roll crimping an originally folded crimp shell. What is the advantage of doing so?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote

txshootist wrote:
Dave M. wrote:

Dave,
Unless I misunderstood the data, it clearly stated in the remarks section of the data that the shell was roll crimped. However, under the hull listing, it clearly stated the use of a Cheddite 2 1/2" 6 point plastic shell. Curious?

Marc

I think what they did, was take a 2-3/4" Cheddite hull that was fold crimped.
Trimmed it to 2-1/2" and roll crimped it after loading.
If they stated over on the right side, that the hull was roll crimped, then that is what they did. It is hard to roll crimp a hull that was originally fold crimped, without trimming it. Hope this helps. Dave Miles

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Tex--The only advantage I can see is if your loading for a short chamber you can trim 2 3/4" hulls down to what ever length. I take 2 3/4" hulls with splits / other damage cut them to a bit less than 2 1/2", roll crimp and they are good for a few more depending on the rest of the hull. Roll crimps are neat looking and have that oldtime look. Pressure wise IMO, nothing to be concerned with as the difference would not present a problem in safety. I enjoy duck and goose hunting and love my friends with thier 3" and 3 1\2" shells-----they make my roll crimped 2 3/4" bismuth loads and all I have to do is buy the stuffings Exclamation Course thats in them dam 12 ga. guns that we don't talk about here... Laughing
txshootist
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the information. I have also posted on the Low Pressure Group. I'm sure they will chime in and clear things up a bit.

Thanks,
Marc
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

txshootist wrote:
Thanks guys for all the information. I have also posted on the Low Pressure Group. I'm sure they will chime in and clear things up a bit.

Thanks,
Marc

What do you want cleared up? Confused

txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
txshootist wrote:

Thanks,
Marc

What do you want cleared up? Confused

Dave,

Youv'e basically cleared things up. It just seemed odd that the data showed folded crimped plastic shells that were roll crimped. I didn't understand why. Your explanation seems quite plausible.

Marc