16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Older Ithaca 37 16bore, New to me!!! UPDATE: It Arrived!
Rooster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

My newest purchase is on the way! A M37 16 bore, plain barrel of 26 inches and mod. choke. Corncob forearm and overall about 85%. I can only hope it is as described-----internet purchase you see.

This is the third M37 16 I have aqquired. The first was a 37R with mod choke and an honest 95% condition that shot the most beautiful round, even patterns. No 1 grandson was given this when he reached the age to know that "PePaw" had given it to him and when he was old enough we would hunt with it together.

The second was a standard M37 16 with 28in full choke and excellent mechanical operation. It was refinished (yeah, I know) to look as new and given to No 2 grandson under the same conditions.

This situation left "Pepaw" with no Ithaca 16 and a huge vacant place in the gun vault. Hopefullly that is being corrected by UPS at this moment. I can hardly wait for it to arrive and see what that little mod barrel will do on the local 5 stand. Then there is the wait for the September opener on doves, the Kansas pheasant season, the opening of teal season here in Arkansas-with some Kent T. Matrix no. 6s of course- and rabbit season to rap it up.

I'm ready, I'm ready!
Rooster

Last edited by Rooster on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Good show Rooster! Starting those youngsters off right with a nice heirloom each. Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

TWO THUMBS UP Very Happy Cool
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote

16 ga Ithaca Featherweight, my personal favorite pump gun. I even used it more than my beloved 16 ga Citori last season. Did just fine with it too. Mine has one of the roto-forged barrels on it. These older barrels are stick straight and very uniform. They do shoot both hard and true, and that is what counts.
Rooster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Well it finally arrived and it is about as good as hoped for.

The barrel is 28in. instead of the advertised 26, but that is not a bad thing. It is very clean and about 85% blue and wood. No cracks or splits. Mechanicals are A1. Laughing

A very quick trip to the pattern board shows good potential with both 1oz. no. 8s and 7.5s A hoped for trip to the local 5 stand this weekend should give me a lot better idea, but if it is like my others were it will be FINE!

The only downside is that there is another grandson here and in about two or three years I'll have to do this all over again.

Best,
Rooster
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:
Well it finally arrived and it is about as good as hoped for.

The barrel is 28in. instead of the advertised 26, but that is not a bad thing. It is very clean and about 85% blue and wood. No cracks or splits. Mechanicals are A1. Laughing

A very quick trip to the pattern board shows good potential with both 1oz. no. 8s and 7.5s A hoped for trip to the local 5 stand this weekend should give me a lot better idea, but if it is like my others were it will be FINE!

The only UPside is that there is another grandson here and in about two or three years I'll have to do this all over again.

Best,
Rooster

Fixed it for you Wink

Slantia
Rooster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, YOU DID. Embarassed

Rooster