16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Ga. wad information
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I happily stumbled across this sight while attempting to locate 16 Ga. wads. I recently purchased a 16 Ga. shotgun and I am looking for small quantities (a bag) of available wads. Small quantities because I want to develop loads that pattern well in both barrels. After spending some time looking at the reloading thread, I have either missed the info on wad choices/availability or didn’t go far enough. I am confident that you guys have discussed 16 Ga. wads many times, I just can’t find the thread.
I live in a remote part of Wyoming and it is a long way to sporting goods stores, most of which cater to big game hunters. Also, in the nearest sporting goods store (1 hour and 15 minutes away) I purchased the last 2 boxes of 16 Ga. ammo and they are loaded with #4 shot. I use WWAA hulls for 28 and 20 Ga. reloads. Any suggestions on mfg. durability and accessibility of 16 Ga. hulls will be welcomed. Very Happy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Your first step is to build up a supply of empty hulls--I am guessing the #4's were Feds??????They can be reloaded with up to a 1 1/4 oz payload down to 7/8 oz with the proper spacers.
sprocket
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

welcome on J

search around here - lots of good info herein. also check out the low pressure group - it is dedicated to reloading for the 16, it's not just low pressure loads.

hulls - many use federal/cheddite hulls, remy game loads are also popular - someplaces have new hulls, primed available too...

wads - not many flavors compared to the amount of the larger bore flavors - your best bet is to check the internet sites of BP, Recobs, etc. to look for something that suits your needs

As for shells found on gun shop shelves - it's very catch-as-catch-can as to make & model - I'm a Remington fan so I stick with them as much as possible although the Wins I have been shooting (thanks Tim) perform quite well and I hope to refill them when I am ready...

Other may chine in too if you post up which hull and/or powder you intend to use...
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Hoashooter
Thanks for the input. Yes, the #4’s are Feds and I have a few hulls and wads (Rem PP16) to load up, but would like to acquire as many different kinds of each as possible.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Sprocket I think that I will enjoy this board.
I only have about a 1/2 bag of old Remington PP16 wads and maybe 75 hulls to play with. My thoughts are to acquire as many wad/hull components as possible and load up a few shells using different components and pattern them from each barrel. After I find the best load for my 16, I will buy the wads/hulls in quantity. The ability to buy primed hulls is good, otherwise, I will be forced to buy loaded shells and shoot them to get hulls for my loads. I have seen Fioche shells and wads mentioned, but have never used them. -Any comments? You mentioned “Wins,” would they be my favorite WWAA components for 20 and 28 Ga? The low pressure group sounds like something that I would find interesting.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

js: 16 ga. Win's are actually "Cheddites". (That is the factory loaded ammunition) Remington SP16 wads are readily available through mail order. They are a 1 1/8 oz wad and would probably need some filler if you were reloading a lesser charge. You can order Remington Game Loads from Bass Pro Shops, shoot them up and reload the hulls. Other components are available from Graf's and Ballistic Products on-line.

If you can cut loose with the $25.00, the reloading group has a wealth of 16ga. reloading information.

Matt
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:10 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16
Thanks. I was wondering what "Cheddites" were, so has nothing to do with cheese? Very Happy I just now sent a PM to RWG requesting joining info for the 16 Gauge Low Pressure Reloading Group.
sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:21 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
CitoriFeather16
Thanks. I was wondering what "Cheddites" were, so has nothing to do with cheese? Very Happy I just now sent a PM to RWG requesting joining info for the 16 Gauge Low Pressure Reloading Group.

It's actually a little know group in Wisconsin militia that prefers 16 ga shotguns - most have french canadien lineage...

Or the home team in an English town best known for it's specific type of fermented dairy product...
Chukarman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz

PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you a bunch of loads and data on hulls/wads.

pezman1963
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
CitoriFeather16

they are made in France
cheese anyone?

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

I just made contact with Ray and will be anticipating 16 ga. load data in the near future. New shotgun,new press and load data- lifes looking good. Very Happy