16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Something's not right here
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

When I started to reload a batch of the black Remington's which were once fired from a Browning 525 I noticed that the resize station of my MEC Sizemaster was doing something unusual to the brass.

It doesn't seem to be resizing the brass completely. By that I mean that about .100" from the base of the brass, just above the rim, there is a .010-.013" step that is very noticeable to the eye, even my bad eyes. On the particular hull I have in front of me the dimensions are: .744" just above the rim and .732" on the rest of the brass. New brass is measuring about .740" for the full length.

I did change the factory setting on the resizer because with the shells I reloaded for a pheasant trip, although sliding right into the chambers of both barrels with no problem, I could not close the gun without using a significant amount of force. After firing 4 rounds on this trip I changed guns, not wanting to have some nasty problem show up.

Factory rounds work perfectly. The gun closes easily and I shoot it pretty well.

These reloads were 1 1/8 oz #5 1/2 shot, Rem. SP12 wad and right now I can't remember the powder.

I am suspecting that there is a glitch somewhere in the reloading sequence, most likely the resizing station. I have three other Sizemasters and have never run into anything like this.

My questions are, (1) is this a problem, that with some of your help, can be remedied on my loading bench or should this machine be sent back to MEC with several specimen hulls and let them have a go at it and (2) why was I having trouble closing the gun?
cdansan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Check the height of the sizer ring off the shell plate with the handle down. There should only be enough space for the rim to fit under the sizer ring. They most likely were sitting up too high in the chamber leading to hard closing as the action face was forcing them into the chamber.

Dan