16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  FS: CZ Ringneck 16 ga (SXS) SOLD
bird dog
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

SOLD Thanks!

Like new in the box CZ 16 GA Ringneck (SXS). 28" barrels, IC and Mod, single trigger. The wood has a nice grain and the case hardened sideplates are beautiful. Hand picked from 10 guns in stock. $850 plus $20 shipping.

Last edited by bird dog on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

bird dog wrote:
Like new in the box CZ 16 GA Ringneck (SXS). 28" barrels, IC and Mod, single trigger. The wood has a nice grain and the case hardened sideplates are beautiful. Hand picked from 10 guns in stock. $850 plus $20 shipping.

Weight?

Ejectors?

Is the single trigger selective?

Photos?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
bird dog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 am  Reply with quote

The complete specs can be found on the CZ USA website.
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=62

The weight is 7.2 lbs.

The trigger is selective.

The gun has extractors, not ejectors.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by bird dog on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Did you actually weigh your gun bird dog? Most of the folks here who have posted about their 16 ga Ringnecks have stated the guns typically weigh in excess of 7 pounds.

I do not know this for fact having not had the opportunity to handle one. The info we have gotten from past owners is the main reason I've not bought one already. I have a .410 and a 28 ga though. They are just super. If the 16 ga guns were garanteed to weight in at 6-3/4 pounds or less, I'd be more inclined to buy one.
bird dog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:11 am  Reply with quote

A check of the old digital scale showed this gun at 7.2 lbs. You were right. It ran a little heavier than I thought. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

Last edited by bird dog on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear that. If CZ could lower the weight a bit by going to a 16 or 20 ga frame, the gun would fill a niche in price to quality that few other companies could touch. I suspect they simply adapted a 12 ga frame to 16 ga barrels to keep the costs down like so many others have tried. This option always calls for barrels that are heavier than need be. In order for the barrels to match the oversized reciever, the contour of the barrels at the chamber end have to be bigger than actual strength requires. I also think the barrels were designed without choke tubes to avoid even more weight.

I really think CZ missed the boat on this one. However, except for the weight, the workmanship and materials used are worth every penny of the retail price let alone the usual selling price. Here is hoping CZ has been getting enough input to think about a redesign. If they did,and kept the price in line with the rest of the Ringnecks, I'd be one of the first in line.

PS: One solution would be to use the existing 20 ga frame and fit a pair of hammer forged barrels to it. The hammer forging produces a barrel that can have a slimmer profile yet still be quite strong enough to meet any proof requirements. However, hammer forged barrels are more expensive to produce. Even so, if it could be done and still keep the price no more than 15% higher than the standard 12/20 ga. price, the gun would be a significant coue for CZ. Well, I can dream.
bird dog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

CZ (Huglu) claims to use a 16 ga frame. The 16 ga weighs less than the 12 ga. If it were on a 12 ga frame, it would probably weigh more than the 12 ga. As you mentioned, 28 ga guns on 20 ga frames usually weigh more than the 20 ga of the same model. This defeats one of the reasons for buying a 28 ga or a 16 ga if it is on the wrong frame. I too wish my gun weighed 1/4 lb less.

Mike
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with all of you who discuss weight. BUT, sometimes weight isn't everything!

Balance! Balance! Balance!

How the gun feels between the hands matters as much as weight. I'd rather carry a 6 1/2 lb balanced gun than a 6 3/4 lb unbalanced gun.

And someone else may feel the samew anout 6 3/4- 7 lb guns. However, balance is also subjective, and everyone has their own "feel".

So, get out there and feel up as many guns as you can before you buy.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:48 am  Reply with quote

For my money, a well balanced double of either configuration puts most of the weight between the hands. this gives the gun a feeling I can only describe as "flat". It comes up naturally parallel to the ground as I raise it to my face and shoulder. I do not have to horse the barrel or the stock end up, because both my hands are supporting about the same amout of weight. such a gun is quick and easy to mount. Such a gun enhances my natural hand/eye coordination

This feeling might be different for different folks from one gun to the other depending on where their front hands are placed. I usually have my front hand about the same distance in front of the hinge pin as behind it with most hunting doubles. A very minor shift of the lead hand front or back will usually help me find the "sweet spot" on the forend of any reasonably balanced double gun that helps me bring the gun to face and shoulder properly. However, some guns are clubby feeling regardless of where the hand is placed. These are the ones that don't feel right to me.

I do have to say that most manufacturers of good quality double guns seem to do a very good job in designing good balance into their guns. Most of the better quality production doubles I've handeld with 26 to 28 inch barrels seem to have the right balance today. My CZ Ringnecks are no exception. both balance and shoot very well for me. My Citori models feel the same too as does my Matador and my Beretta. However, all these guns have 26 to 28 inch barrels.

One more point needs be said here. If a gun is reasonably well balanced, and the owner wants to fine tune its balance for his particular hand placement, a bit of wood removed from the butt stock mounting bolt hole or from behind the butt plate, or a bit of sheet lead glued in the right place can help alter the balance to be just right for him. I've done this with a couple of my guns to match them for both weight and balance.
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

You guys have successfully hijacked Birddog's attempt to sell a perfectly good 16ga Shotgun. Laughing

Regards,
Charles

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry Birddog.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Well, at least we did not crab the sale. It's gone I see. Perhaps the only bad publicity is no publicity. All our yacking got someone's interest maybe. Anyway, if the gun has the same good quality for the money that my two exhibit, I'd say the new owner has a hell of a gun for the price. Very Happy