16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Simson Suhl-Opinions Wanted
txshootist
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I would like your honest opinion of the Simson SxS. Attributes, pitfalls, value, etc. Don't hold back.

Marc
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

I had a 12 ga. Simson sxs. It looked identical to a Merkel Model 8. It was a really nice gun, light, well balanced, shot both barrels right on the money. The wood was plain, but everything was well fit and finished. Definitely and quality gun.
Rooster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Merkel M8 and I can ditto the statements of the immediate above poster. Excellent gun IMHO.

Somebody with more knowledge than I correct me, but I think my Merkel is almost identical to the Simpson-Shul. Possibly made in the same factory?

Rooster
Chris Preston
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Simson 16 ga sxs, side clips, cocking indicators, double triggers, straight stock, and it is a pleasure to shoot. A little over 6 pounds, still tight even though it is well used, it is not used up. A great gun for chukars, huns and pheasants, easy to carry and I shoot it real well. I like using a sxs for chukars but don't want to use a totally expensive gun in all that lava. German guns are made by machinists, spanish guns by artists. They made different grades so it depends to an extent which you are looking at. Larry Brown is a good resource as are other folks on this board. (more than me)
Chris Preston
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Pre WWII Simpson's were made by Simpson and are very nice, well made , long lasting guns. Post WWII Simpson's were made next to Merkels in an East German factory.There should be a three or four digit number stamped on the water table. 527 would mean a May, 1927 manufacture date. 1027 would mean October of 27. Both pre and post war guns work flawlessly. But the post war guns (up until the fall of the Berlin wall) were assembled a bit rougher.

Either way, if it has nice weight, and fits you properly, you can't go wrong.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:28 am  Reply with quote

The Simson family had the misfortune of being Jewish, which meant that their business became the property of the Nazis. The name was changed to BSW. Then after the war, when the Commies took over in E. Germany (where Suhl was located), they brought back the Simson name.

On the earlier guns--prewar Simsons and BSW's--there were probably some differences from Merkels and Sauers, but the guns were very good quality. The E. German Simsons look almost exactly like the Merkels and Sauers (often marked "Fortuna") which were made in E. Germany at the same time. They are also good, solid guns--and sometimes cheaper than Merkels and Sauers, because Simson seems to have less value attached to the name.

Most German guns have a 3 or 4 digit date code (month and year), so it's fairly easy to tell if you've got a pre-war or post-war gun. The pre-war guns were somewhat more "refined", more handwork, etc--but many of them also had short chambers, built for lighter loads, etc. The post-war guns aren't as refined, but nearly all have 2 3/4" chambers and were built for heavier loads.
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the great information. This will give me a good foundation from which to make a decision.

Marc
Mtwoodson
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

I like the Simsons a lot . Mine is a solid 16 ga made in 1956/7, based on serial #. It has a couple of handling/safe scratches on the stock and the metal and case hardened finish is 97%+. I think it's Improved and Mod. It's really solid, will last for my grandkids' use, locks up like a bank vault, and plays hell with pheasants. I think they are a highly underated shotgun. No, it's not a Merkel, even though they were made under the same roof at that time, but it's not priced like one either.
And having said how great it is, I'll mention that it's listed in the For Sale area. Still love it, but it got caught in a guns and cash shuffle and has to go.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Mtwood, can you bump it back up th elist? I couldn't find the ad
Tim