16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  First roll crimp
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I would like to roll crimp my field loads and not ever having tried a roll crimp I have two questions. I currently use a 1 ounce 16 gauge pie crimped load that patterns well in my shotgun. To use this same load in a new hull with a roll crimp how much should I trim from the hull?
Also, I plan to use a drill press to spin the crimp and set the stops for down travel. how much down travel is required from start to finish. Any information would be appreciated.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

It's hard to say how much to trim your hulls. I would load a shell, install the overshot card, then mark the hull. You want about 1/8" to 3/16" hull above the OSC. Then trim a hull and see where you are. When you start the roll crimp, go slow and check your progress often. You can tell when the roll is complete and tight against the OSC. Set your drill press stop there. It's kinda trial and error, but not hard to do at all. When you get everything set, still take it slow with the plastic hulls and the drill press. You don't want to fuse or melt the roll. This isn't an issue with paper. Hope this helps. Regards, Dave Miles

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Dave
Thanks or the information. I am awaiting a roll crimp tool and then I will give it a whirl.
Jim