16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Interesting..Sweet Sixteen and Rem Model 58 16ga same weight
chilly460
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked my Sweet Sixteen and Rem Model 58 from the FFL. I know the 58 is on a 12ga frame, but I always thought the older plain barrel Remingtons, whether they were an 1100 or 870, were lighter then the modern equivalent.

Hefting both guns, they felt pretty equal, although the weight distribution couldn't be more different. A5 is all in the receiver, 58 is all in the forend.

Anyway, threw them on the kitchen scale...both came in right at 7lb 2-3oz with 28" plain barrels. I love the feel of the 58, it's going to be a nice shooter.

I have a standard 16ga A5 and now the Sweet 16, just a couple shooters but I enjoy taking them out for a round of 5 stand every once in awhile.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Chilly:

I think if you take the stock off the 58 Remington you will find a 16 stamped on the receiver marking this as a true 16 ga frame not a 12ga also take diminsions of the two frames and I think you will find it differs a wee bit .

Regards Charles
chilly460
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps it is stamped 16ga due to differences with machining internally...I'm not sure.

I just pulled the barrel off my 12ga 870 (you probably know 870/58 barrels are interchangeable) and it fit perfectly on the 58. The 58s barrel shows the same neck down as you see on 16ga 1100s and 870s, due to them being on the 12ga frame.

If I had a 12ga 58 I'd throw a caliper on the receivers, but don't have one handy.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

The 16 ga A5's have never actually been all that light.....including the Sweet Sixteen. They seem light and are fast handlers because of the weight distribution.

A 3 shot Sweet Sixteen came my way and I've never handled another gun that puts such a large percentage of the total weight between the shooters hands.

Jeff
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I fully agree with you there, they're by far the most stock heavy guns I've handled. My 16ga M37 is pretty light in the barrel, but not in the same class as the A5s.