16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  double barrel 1940's LeFever
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote

I ran across a LeFever double barrel for sale this morning at a yard sale, and I honestly don't know anything about the gun or it's value. It was in quite good condition for it's age (1940's but no exact identification). The action worked very well, and it had a good feel. I have 3 questions I was hoping someone on here could answer. It said on the barrel that it was nitro approved. Does that mean it will fire factory loads safely? I belong to the low pressure group if not. Secondly, what does anyone here know about this gun and its value. Last, the chokes are obviously fixed chokes. Anyone have a guess as to what they might be. Any info would be great because I have no prior knowledge of the gun. Thanks.
gunut
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Most likely a nitro special...A good quality working mans gun...If in good condition it should be able to digest any 2 3/4in shell in its gauge
.....Hard to say what its value is unmessed with say 85% case color 12 gauge guns go 300-350....16 a bit more and 20s around 450-500....410s can go crazy in price....

Last edited by gunut on Sat May 05, 2007 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 am  Reply with quote

No doubt an Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special and previously discussed a bit on this thread http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2533
Very solid utility grade boxlocks that could certainly handle 1 oz. 16g loads.
Some bizarre prices recently on Nitros at Bass Pro
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=36&viewMode=list&catID=21&direction=DESC&gunid=2767&mode=viewGun
A well used but not abused 12g might be $350 to a pristine 20g at $1000. Only potential problem is a tendency for wood cracking at the end of the top tang.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:51 am  Reply with quote

As far as chokes go the Nitro Special was usually purchased at the Hardware store and 95% of the time were choked Modified and Full.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Pull the barrels off and you'll see numbers stamped on the flats 0,1,2,3,or 4 that would be the original chokes. Keep in mind its and old gun and they could have been messed with somewhere along the line. More 16's were made with IC/M chokes that people think but most were F/M as stated. Look the wood and barrels over for cracks and dents. Make sure you pull the forend wood the work the barrels back and forth to feel for any play in the action. Look at the firing pins to check for corroded / broken ones. Visually check the barrel and rib solder joints for defects also if you know how "ring" the barrels that helps to. Check the safety and triggers. They are a good gun but you can gets junk when buying a SxS cause a gun like this is not worth a major fix cause it could cost more than you paid for it. The later Nitro's were the best of the run so if its good jump on it. You post the ser. # and somebody here will tell ya when it was born. Hope you get it. Wink
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a link for date of manufacture-just scroll down
http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/page5/page15/page15.html

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Do a good dead Adopt that gun! Even a Nitro doesn't deserve to be sold at a garage sale Sad !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
M D Christian
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen a Lefever Nitro Special That has "Nitro Approved" on the barrel I've owned no less than 50, and looked at another 500 and I never seen one marked like that.. Just curious.. As far as chokes go, they came many different ways, alot of F&M, but not nearly 95% nearly all the 26" barreled guns are Cyl & Mod or IC & IM ...MDC
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Looks anything like this?

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Could it be one of the elusive A grades Shocked ??

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:36 am  Reply with quote

Thats a beauty for sure Exclamation not a "A" grade but who cares Very Happy
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I picked up the gun today to go shoot it. The guy ended up being a friend of my dad's from years ago, so he let me take it to shoot before I committed to buy. I busted 10/10 clay pigeons, so that was encouraging. I have the serial number, and it would be great if someone here could check out the specifics on it for me using that. The number is 355019. The barrel, forend stock, and butt stock all are the same number too which is good.
I've looked it over the best I know how, and I can't find aything wrong with it. The wood is scrated some, but it is also over 60 years old. The metal has no pitting, and with some easy work could look brand new. Firing pins look good, and it did go bang when I shot. Thanks guys for all the help. I think I will go pay for it tomorrow. By the way, he's selling it for $310.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

870: The serial number indicates 1942 manufacture. It should have the late type sculptured frame like the NID..Others have told you how to check the original chokes. That's about all I can tell from the serial number.. I don't know if Walt Snyders book covers the Nitros or not.. Can you tell me exactly how the barrels are marked. The Stamp of "Nitro Approver" is very unusual.. Maybe a Photo.. The price is about right if the condition is 60% or better.. MDC