16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New to this site - and back to 16 gauge
fuhrmann
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

While searching the internet for low pressure 16 ga. shells, I found this site - glad to be here!

Brief introduction:
age 51, lifelong hunter (with some interruptions caused by professional and family duties, and moving to new places), German, living in Switzerland.
Have started my shotgunning long ago with a Spanish 16 ga. SxS, but soon moved to 12 ga when my father presented me a FN Browning Superposed - I am still shooting this gun, plus a newer Browning B425.
I am handloading all my rifle ammunition but never had the need or interest for reloading shotshells.

Now why am I here?
One of my heirloom pieces is a good Ferlach hammer combination gun, built in the mid-1890's. One barrel pair (steel) is a cape gun, rifle barrel 11.2x51 R (think a shortened .43 Mauser), shotgun barrel 16 ga.
The other barrel pair is 16 ga SxS, Damascus.
I have started reloading the rifle cartridge, both with black powder and SR4759, and naturally now want shotgun ammo as well. My dream is to take the old gun hunting then and now.
Have recently loaded some Magtech brass shells with black powder, this seems to work and is fun, but too messy and corrosive for regular shooting - hence my interest in low pressure nitro loads.

I know I will learn a lot in your forum, and I hope I can contribute, too.

fuhrmann
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Sorry I don't know anything about your favored gun--but welcome to the 16 Gauge Society board. Post a photo if you have a chance. Sounds like an interesting piece.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 am  Reply with quote

Fuhrmann
Welcome here and glad you found this site. Can you tell us what you hunt there in Switzerland Question It would be very interesting for all of us here in the States Very Happy
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Cool gun... can you post some photos?? I once almost brought a cape gun (thats what they're called here) with 16ga./.30-30 barrels and a second set of 16/16 ga. barrels.But alas the stock just didn't fit me, and that was a time when I would have been too scared to have it bent.

Good luck,

Peter

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Welcome, herr fuhrmann.

Click this link for the Yahoo 16ga 'low pressure group.' http://groups.yahoo.com/group/16gaugereloaders/

That's the place for reloading data for your antique. I'm sure someone here can chime in with 'how to join' instructions.

EDIT: it appears the link doesn't work unless you're already a member. Sorry!

wingshooter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Welcome, and your English is excellent.

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
fuhrmann
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

thanks for the Welcome!

Pictures of the gun: I have some hasty shots in my PC, but I am quite innocent about how to post them to this thread. And I will be too busy until Sunday to spend the time trying and studying.
So if one of you is really eager to see the photos, and is willing to post them here, I will send them by e-mail.

I am very interested in the Low Pressure Group. Some issues to consider: I am fully equipped for reloading rifle ammunition, but for shotshells there is only an old Lee Loader ....
Maybe this is enough for the beginning, I will not reload large numbers of shells.
Shotshell reloading is not very popular here, so the choice of components may be limited - buit I have not yet shopped around.

Switzerland is a small country, but consisting of many different states or cantons (ca. 24), with very different landscape, game and hunting laws. Describing all is a longish story. I am living in the small canton Zug, between Zurich and Lucerne. Most important game animal is roe deer (weight 15 to 25 kg), must be hunted with a shotgun here. The occasional red deer, some wild ducks, that's about it.
I am also hunting with friends in Germany.

My English is really founded on Guns&Ammo and other shooting mags, books on reloading etc. My dad's best friend, an American brought them, I read them and had to translate the most interesting things to my dad.
And later I had lots of opportunity to practice durying studying and for professional reasons.

Fuhrmann
wingshooter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
between Zurich and Lucerne.

Been there, on the way to honeymoon in Grindewald. Stunning country. I'm going to have to start taking Der Spiegel. Very Happy

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride! Very Happy

berg
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the board. There is quite a bit of information to be found here, and I am sure that your input wil be appreciated as well.
As for reloading, the old Lee will make quite useable ammo even though as a piece of equipment, it may not be as fast or fancy as the newest and best models available.
It seems that more and more of the ammunition and components here are being imported from Europe, hulls, wads, primers and powder. You may find a good selection available when you start looking into it more.

berg
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Shotshell reloading is not very popular here, so the choice of components may be limited - buit I have not yet shopped around.

If you can get Cheddite hulls and primers (I believe they are made in France) and Gualandi 1621 wads from Italy you will have the basis for making up some really great loads.
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 am  Reply with quote

...welcome to this site, and back to the 16 bore, you will never stray off again in pursuit of any harlot gauges Smile

Seriously now, I have learned more here in the last 4 months about my cherished gauge, reloading, guns (scotch whiskey?) than in the last 10 years, and I was in the double gun business from 1997-2001!

...and, maybe most importantly, the comraderie here due to the quality of men has been without equal....you will make many new exceptional friends very fast...

you will also have a lot of fun....

WELCOME!! Very Happy

britgun (Duncan Hill)

old16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Welcome friend
I've been their. Zurick twice. Lovely country. Enjoyed going to the Kinnly restruant. I think that is how it is pronounced. Hope to go back someday.
Old 16

XVI'er
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:39 am  Reply with quote

I'm glad to welcome you to the membership ,my brother.! We have a wealth of experienced shooters and reloaders here on our board who would love to share their knowledge with you.

I hope you enjoy yourself and post often. Wink