16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  20ga. question sorry
up-hunter
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

The reason i'm asking this here is i figure you guys know more about shotguns than i do lol. I was wondering how much you gain by shooting 3 inch shells over 2 3/4, in a 20ga. I have heard they don't pattern well is this true?
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Generally shells with longer shot columns don't pattern as well as shells with shorter shot columns - - more stringing and fliers. I am not sure how this plays out with very hard pellets like steel. But I do know that 3" shells in my Benelli 20ga will kick the c**p out of you. Laughing

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:34 am  Reply with quote

IMO 3" 20 ga. has always been a joke. Shells are expensive and you gain zero in pattern. You see very few guys messing with them anymore Rolling Eyes
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:36 am  Reply with quote

If you need to increase your payload, go to the 16, 12, or 10 gauge. Wink

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:21 am  Reply with quote

About the only thing I could see 3" being good for would be duck, and only for the payload, so like what was posted earlier, if you need more lead count get a larger gauge. Nothing I shoot can't be killed dead with a 20(not that I shoot them anymore)

IFL16's
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Nothing that has been said previously applies to Hevi-Shot. I have done extensive testing at the pattern board and out in the field and their 3" shell is truely a lethal advantage. It WILL knock the snot out of you if you're using a light gun however. Shocked

Larry
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 am  Reply with quote

I would agree with Dave. If you need more payload go with a bigger gun. You can't beat a 12 for throwing 1 1/4 oz or more.
As far as how do 20 ga 3 inch shells pattern? That may depend on the gun. Last year I patterned some loads for the possibility of Turkey hunting. I patterned 16 ga 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz loads of #6 shot. Among them were different brands from Remington, Federal and Fiocchi. I also patterned the 20 with several 3 inch shells. The best pattern came from a 3 inch 20 ga Fiocchi Golden Pheasant load. That load by far put more hits on the Turkey head than any other load. So I guess there can be a lot of variables, but I only know what the pattern board told me.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:32 am  Reply with quote

If your 20 is overbored and the choke is not too tight , you may be able to coax 3-5 yards more range than a standard 2 3/4" shell. A lot depends on length of forcing cone and velocity as well.

They are vicious in a light gun as regards recoil. My cheek and shoulder have a good memory! LaughingI had a Ruger Red Lable 20 that would pattern Winchester 3" lead #6's pretty well at 40yds, but not #4's! Embarassed

Stick to 2 3/4" or go up to the larger bores!
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Some of the problems with the 3" 20 ga do not show up on the pattern board.....particularly ahot stringing. A long skinny shot column gives you a long shot string which results in less shot actually landing on a crossing target.

IMO, you should figure out how much lead you need to throw, then pick the gauge that handles it best. For the loads stuffed into 3" 20 ga shells a 16 ga may be the best choice. However shell selection may be a problem....so a light 12 ga is an option where shells that suit your needs are not available.

Jeff