16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Great French boxlock at Greg Martin.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

A friend passed this along to me. Couldn't help but notice the wood and those classy drop points on it.
No connection to this piece, just posted it for the faithful. Looked nice, however.
Best,
Ted
http://68.167.203.107:8050/FMPro?-db=GMA_Inventory.fp5&-format=inv_detail.html&-lay=web&-RecID=12585653&-Find
britgun
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:31 pm  Reply with quote

.....somebody stop me!! What a wand! That guy who's lookin' for his first 16 on the tight budget oughta bite on this.... it's perfect, and fairly priced.... what a beauty.... it would be his go to gun for the rest of his life, I reckon, once he tweaked it to fit and all, if necessary..... like lose the swivels and maybe put a pad on there if it's a tad short for him., perhaps lengthen the forcing cones and open the chokes to SKT and IC.... gorgeous and an extremely fine value.... these are some of the sturdiest, toughest guns ever made, what a great deal..... biggest sleepers in the world, in my opinion....I'd name her Simone, but I fear Yvette would get jealous..... Very Happy

brit

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Swivels are 'kinda handy, when your dog gets elderly. I've never regretted that my Darne 12 is equipped with a Bretelle.
Love the wood on that gun...
Best,
Ted
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are killing me! What did you have to go and show me that for?!! 6lbs. 1 oz, beautiful wood, engraved fences, nice barrels, awesome wood, affordable, wow. Of course I just bought a computer I have to pay off first. It figures. Smile
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Swivels are 'kinda handy, when your dog gets elderly. I've never regretted that my Darne 12 is equipped with a Bretelle.
Love the wood on that gun...
Best,
Ted

...you mean you make the old dog sling the gun?

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:25 am  Reply with quote

No. I mean I make every effort to keep an old dog "in the hunt", and can expect that a 10-15 year old dog will simply need some help out of the woods when he runs out of steam. It is a bit poignant to know that he simply can't make it any further, and that he doesn't have many trips left in him, but, I push those thoughts to the back of my mind as I sling the gun, kneel, and wrap my right arm around hindquarters that simply refuse to hold him up any more that day, put my left gently under his front legs, and assure him everything is going to be just fine, as I hoist him up from the ground and we head back to the car. He will sleep all the way home, get a hot bath, and plenty to eat when we arrive, and I can tell he dreams of the day by the yips in his slumber. I always promise him there will be next weekend, or next season, and I'm usually right. Not always, however. I'm never sure if he knows about that, or not.
That is why I have a gun with a sling. Make fun of it all you like.
Best,
Ted
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Ted,

If that is how you care for your dog, any man who mocks you for having a sling on your double shall find God's temper raised against him Smile

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:18 am  Reply with quote

...I don't feel God's wrath for having a sense of humor......maybe Ted's however, so, I'm sorry Ted if I offended you, I was just playing with ya.... I knew what you meant....but after your tear-jerking explanation, if I were a hound, I'd sure want you for my master Very Happy

Fond and friendly regards with all due respect,

Duncan

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:45 am  Reply with quote

That's a nice looking gun, and I like French guns (preferably those that do not require a "key" to open--Ted will understand). However, from the detailed description, it appears to have quite a few "flies" that need swatting. If bought at the upper end of the price estimate, by the time all the work is done (the big issue being putting it back on face) and the buyer's hammer fee paid, I'd say you're looking at about twice the low end estimated price.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not offended. But, the sling is there for a few reasons, you know. I've been involved in several "hike in and camp for a few days" hunting trips, and a gun with a sling is, well, the gun that makes that trip. Sometimes, I shoot my brace of whatever, and I'm just not ready to go home. Sling gun, enjoy a little walk in the woods. The sling is a natural thing.
Larry, at the low end price, I'd use one of two options. Brass shim stock on the hook, which will last as long as you leave it there, about a $6 fix at the hobby shop, trim to fit with snips, lube, and install, or, spend the $100 with Mike Orlen for a soldered shim. At the high end price, I'd buy something else.
Best,
Ted
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Ted, you've still got the dents to deal with. Sounds like one of them at least might require professional attention. I've owned guns with small dents, and they don't bother me if they don't show in the bores, or are nearly invisible. But a bigger one . . . I've used one of Brownell's dent lifters and it isn't a big deal--if you have a 16ga dent lifter.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Each of us should certainly do what works for them. To me, unless you're wearing one of those Tyrolean hats and lederhosen, slings look funny on a shotgun Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
jig
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:43 am  Reply with quote

I have one of those slings with the loops so you don't need swivels or such.
It comes in handy for two scenario's I come across; 1. Chukar hunting when I'm covering a lot of topography and dang if that gun doesnt need a few different positions on my body while I'm climbing up or down from a few thousand vertical. and 2: on a walk-in duck hunt when I'm toting a bag of Deke's, a day's rations, dog and who knows what else? Don't need swivels at all and the sling works great.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Like I said, Larry-at the low end price, which, to me, is the actual high end price-these guys are being a little optimistic with their little French boxlock if you ask me. I don't think the guns have quite caught on to those prices, yet.

I might be wrong, but, not for my billfold!

I don't need it, but, I would bid more like $527.59 (to beat the 525 dollar bids), and not be one bit surprised if I ended up with the thing. I'm sure Mr. Orlen has a complete set of gauge bobs for raising dents, either hydraulically, or the old fashioned way, with the teeny little brass hammer. That would leave a few hundred or so for a few "looksees" by the 'smith, and a decent boxlock at well under 1 large. I'm past my idolatry phase in shotguns, and if I tightened it up with a brass shim for a few bucks, saving a $100 or so for a solder shim or a dovetail repair ($$$$), that would be fine with me. Not bad, in that scenario. Course, the best laid plans can and do go awry, from time to time!
Best,
Ted