16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite Paper and Plastic hull: roughly equivalent?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I have loaded my new cheddite paper hulls for the 7k psi 1 1/8 oz. phez load that is in the manual for the cheddite plastic hull; 23 grs. Longshot, sg16, factory primer and hull, 7k psi and 1,250 fps. It loads great in the paper hull and is soft shooting, but I don't know the pressure for sure. There wouldn't be a huge pressure increase by using the paper hull vs the plastic would there? Should I send it to Tom for testing just to be sure? My steel barrelled Lefever is plenty stout, so I'm not too worried about reasonable pressure (up to 9k psi or so), but the perfectionist in me wonders just the same.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:23 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't sweat it. I do the same thing with federal hulls as I have a lifetime supply of the old federal monarks (brand new ones Exclamation ) Can see any difference when shooting the same load in either plastic or paper. To me the paper loads always feel "softer". Can't see a reason for a pressure rise. If the recoil ain't beaten your Lefever up I doubt you have a preesure problem. This is one mans opinion of course. Smile
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Cap'n. That's kind of what I thought. Where did you get a supply of NEW Federal Monark's?!! Are they the purple ones? I LOVE those hulls. I have a couple dozen I found at the range and I would shoot nothing but those if I could find more.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:57 am  Reply with quote

Dan ,
I inherited from two relations and two dear friends. I also bought out inventories of ammo from three old gunshops that closed Sad . and twice nailed a big load on ebay. Yep, I have the purples and the maroon/red ones (mostly) that I grew up with. Very Happy
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:10 am  Reply with quote

....boy Cap'n, I am jealous of those old paper tresures, anyhow, I expect the papers will prove lighter than the plastics with the same components, I think you will be fine,

brit