16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sling it or wing it ???
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
fin, the hat and lederhosen? wasn't that rev? or was it 16gaugeguys favorite outfit?

Well, I've seen some photos of the Rev, and never dressed like that, but you never know! As for 16GG....never mind Wink !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
jig
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I have a loop sling that I use very little, but I am glad it's there when I need it. Usually, I 'm chasing chukars, or doing a walk-in waterfowl hunt in which I'm carrying a Bag of deke's, a fanny pack with water/coffee etc and carrying my Labrador on a leash. The sling really helps in those times.

I only use the sling for transport and seldom if ever, shoot the gun with the sling on. I also don't like the idea of drilling holes in shotguns to facilitate swivel hardware either. Than God they make these loop slings, cheap, effective and removeable with no hardware/drilling needed.

My big game rifles have all been slung with traditional swivel set ups and leather slings.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:01 am  Reply with quote

....for me, I guess it's the classic look thing (English gun hangover) of not having a sling, looks funny to me, not found on English or Yank classics, but see that it could be practical.... I open my 5 pound French gun, and can stick it in my game vest, breech face down, forms a "V" and stays right in there, you just have to give trees a wide birth or you'll bang the barrels, that's only if I need both hands free to carry something (only had to do it once....I had shot a bunch of geese and ducks and was a mile or so from the truck....it was before I got one of those dead bird hanger loop strap thingys that holds 8 birds and goes around your neck)...

PGG- sure enjoyed meeting you last Thurs, thanks for the brewsky and the gun pics and otherwise great stories and info....

brit

Yentzen
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

My duck gun has a sling. Hang it in a tree while my hands are in my pockets. Carry my gun with me while I move decoys. Hang the gun off a post in the blind (better than the butt in the water). I could not do with out my sling on my duck gun.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

I saw a sling at the last sportsmans show I attended. 1" wide strip of rubber. When it's installed right, it forms a straight line from the front swivel to the rear. When you want to put it over your shoulder, you stretch it, and the sling doesn't move off your shoulder. It looked interesting at the show. A little costly at $30.00, but I'll let you know after next season if it works. Right now, I can say it works very well on my slug shotgun... in my living room, and my gun room.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
popplecop
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Some of my shotguns have sling swivels mounted on them and yes I utilize them. The secret is take it off and put it in your game pouch when not needed. For those shotgunns that don't have sling swivels I just carry a loop sling in my game bag. More than once I have been glad to have the use of both hands while waterfowl and upland hunting.
chopper
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried to use a sling in the field once on my 870 and found it to be in the way even when tightened straight. I have carried it as a "just in case" if the dog needs to be leashed or otherwise transported from the field.

For my Citori, I have a Mother brand vest and it has two gun socks attached in the external pocket on the back to house the 2 halves of the gun and a strap to keep it from falling out. I've used it and found it to work well if I need to go "hands free".

I always keep a sling on my 870 for turkey hunting. I hiked 26 miles over three days this year in rain and mud to score a bird. I couldn't safely hike up and down those hills with out my hands free.

Chop
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

A quick addition to my original post.

The sling is in my pocket after the dekes are out and I am in the blind or while I am trying to call in a gobbler.

Dennis
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:16 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
fin, the hat and lederhosen? wasn't that rev? or was it 16gaugeguys favorite outfit?

The only problem with lederhosen is that they "creak" and make the birds flush out of range.

Oh, and if they get wet they shrink and strangle the General and his Privates....

Or so I've been told.

XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:14 am  Reply with quote

I use sling and swivels on all my pumps and have for over 25 years. Always easy to remove and put in pocket for later use. On O/U or my SxS, I use a swivel-less leather strap that works pretty well for the last 5 years.

Slings are pretty handy in my opinion, especially if you have dogs to contend with or, as in the case of our waterfowling brothers, decoys to set or retrieve. Very Happy
britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
hunshatt wrote:

The only problem with lederhosen is that they "creak" and make the birds flush out of range.

Oh, and if they get wet they shrink and strangle the General and his Privates....

Or so I've been told.

...try the spandex and fishnet variety with Gore Tex and latex reenforcement in those "tender spots".... Smile

hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Duncan, now your scaring me, thats info that I would have expected PGG to have, but not you. Oh well, I guess now I where the saying came from , MT.where the men are are men, and the sheep are scared, came from

britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Duncan, now your scaring me, thats info that I would have expected PGG to have, but not you. Oh well, I guess now I where the saying came from , MT.where the men are are men, and the sheep are scared, came from

I actually met PGG last week in NY.... maybe I caught somethin' from him...?? Very Happy

PS I am partial to Shetland ponies

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
hunshatt wrote:

I actually met PGG last week in NY.... maybe I caught somethin' from him...?? Very Happy

What's the matter Duncan? Too tall for a sheep?

britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
britgun wrote:
hunshatt wrote:

What's the matter Duncan? Too tall for a sheep?

yeah, pretty much....