16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Western Arms Long Range Year and Info help
gspchip
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Hey all,

Picked up a Western Arms Long Range 16 on Gunbroker a couple of days ago... I plan on tinkering with it and refinishing the wood.... listed as full and modified chokes...

The serial number is 56746..... anyone know what date that would be associated with?.... also listed as 2.75 chambers.... does that sound right....in addition and general info or thoughts on the Long Range would be nice.....

The gun was Auction number 71915503....

Thanks.....
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

GSP
Thats a 1940 gun. They were made by Ithaca Gun Co. from 1929-42 and a few more were added after the war in 1946. They are a good solid utility, everyday gun that when it gets a ding you ain't gotta worry bout it. Nothing fancy just made solid. They were the gun that was made for hardtimes during the depression so folks had a shot at being able to buy a gun and you'll have to admit there sure are a lot of them for sale and still shooting. They were all chambered 2 3/4" so no problem there. Not much difference between them and the Nitro Special also many of the parts are interchangeable. The Western Arms were manufactured with a wrought iron action in lieu of the normal forged steel to hold the cost down but it does not make any difference in performance when you pull that trigger. Over the years I have picked up 16 of these guns(nuts Exclamation ) so guess I'm kinda a collector Laughing -------------Klunker Kollector as some guy once told me. Enjoy it cause thier made to shoot. Back to work for me, spent my lunch talkin Ithacas again Very Happy
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

One thing you can do with those guns, if you're so inclined, is turn them into straight grippers pretty easily--no lower tang to worry about. If you can find someone to do that (or do it yourself if you're sufficiently handy) and then checker the wood, it improves the appearance significantly.
gspchip
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:08 am  Reply with quote

LB,

I kind-of like the sound of that...I might give the straight stock a try...pretty handy with wood.... I have been tinkering with checkering and have gotten fairly good at it..... Thanks for the idea....