16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lose your Benelli's, sell your Citori's, break your graphite
txshootist
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Matt,

Nice Pacemaker. I have one the same vintage (among others). Just got back from fishing the Gunnison Gorge. Man, there are some big trout in there. Used a Bean's LL built by Phillipson and had a blast. It now goes to my grandson, but first I had to field test it.

Nice Browning, too!

Marc
MCHunter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:19 am  Reply with quote

1956 Orvis Battenkill 3 piece #6

1928 A. H. Fox CE 16ga.
Pleasant Ridge
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I actually 2 years ago sold a Benelli and a Citori and now hunt with vintige M37's and Belgium A-5's (all 16 gauges none the less). I am still flyfishing with graphite but am waiting on a bamboo right now!!!
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Boy, looks like I started something here. I like fly fishing and shooting so much that when I get a day off I have a hard time deciding which to do. Sometimes I take a fly rod and a gun and do both. That makes for a full day of fun. I have about as many fly rods as I have guns. I too have a couple of St Croix rods but my favorite 3 are Orvis Silver labels and a RL Winston. Oh, I forgot the little LL Bean 8 footer for Bluegill.
MCHunter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

If golf wasn't such an addiction fishing would start the day after quail season and not stop until the Dove opener. Now it's just such a treat to break out the Battenkill and thread her up.

Ever fly fish on the coast for Reds? Cool Cool Cool

1928 A. H. Fox CE 16ga.
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I think that I’m confused, because I consider myself a traditionalist. That said, I have two 2 wt., two 4 wt., two 6 wt. two 9 wt., and one 12 wt. All of the rods are custom assembled in Canada on Sage blanks and each wt. has a two piece and travel rod version.. Each has a wood handle and most are Juniper with a few Cocobola and fiddle back maple. I have a 1948 Fox/Stevens 311 and a new AYA #2, both in 16 ga.
I fished the month of March in New Zealand and did not catch the 10 lb + fish. Caught a lot of 3-4 lb. brown trout, but nothing that I could not have caught at home. That is not a complaint because NZ was interesting and all fish were sighted and cast to in the traditional NZ way. Would you beleve 22' leaders?