16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  ruffed grouse trap shoot in the NE/ NE 16ga shoot
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I was given a pass, so I'll be there. When you guys figure out whose coming , we can see about what to do after sprocket wins the thing

2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hunshatt,

I too am planning to be there. Look forward to meeting you. Just don't laugh too hard when you see me shoot. Annie Oakley I'm not!

Best.....2few
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:24 am  Reply with quote

henning63

Group: Members
Posted on: Mar. 28 2007,10:54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have just formed the only current Ruffed Grouse Society chapter in New Hampshire. Join us for our Inagural Family Trap Shoot on Saturday, June 2, 2007.

One Shooter entry package is $35 and includes:
-Custom Embroidered Hat with RGS logo & your name
(must buy tickets in advance to have personalization)
-RGS Logo Mug in Hunter Green
-Shells for shoot
-Continental Breakfast
-BBQ lunch (hot dogs and hamburgers)
If you have one shooter and one non shooting guest the entry fee will be $50.

The schedule is:
-8:30 to 10:00 am Continental Breakfast & Registration
-10:00 am (sharp) Shooting
-Lunch following conclusion of shoot.
After lunch a write in auction of 30-40 items will commmence, including some of the following:
-Kimber Shotgun
-Prints
-Hunting Equipment
-Hunting Boots
-Hunting Clothes
-a CZ Bob White S/S 20 Guage

Shoot will be held at the Hampton Rod and Gun Club, Atlantic Avenue (Route 111), North Hampton, New Hampshire.

For ticket information please contact:
Michael Nolan
48 Middle Road
Brentwood, NH 03833
603-772-1270

Come and join us for a great day!!

hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:25 am  Reply with quote

2few, I'm guessing your a ringer. gonna try and win all the loot?
PM on the way

2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt,

HONESTLY, I'm a lousy shot. I've been shooting for most of my almost 50 years and I can generally get a rifle to do what I want it to, but shotguns are a different matter. Until recently I had never even been to a formal clays range. Always was a casual, backyard sort of shooter, though I love to hunt. Anyway, just took up shotguning after a marriage enforced hiatus. I get out to a SC range most weekends now, but only becase I love being outdoors and yakking with other gun lovers, not because I have any hope of hitting the clays. After 3 marriages, I've decided that shotguns and shooting are a more enjoyable and less expensive passtime!

Best...2few
clutch
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

This is a great deal. Look at all the "stuff" you get for $35.00 Whats the deal? I have gone to the RGS shoots at Addieville and they cost $150.00 for about the same thing. I think its great! Maybe more people will attend these things.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Just got a note from Mike. The shells are not included.error was made. The one I went to at adiville last year included them, but what was I going o do with 20ga shells? had to give them to the g-friend.
friends don't let friends shoot 12's

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Alright boys, next weekend is the Ruffed grouse thing. Kathi says I'm allowed to invite ya'll back for burgers and beers(or single malt) at her little sh*tbox home. It's just down the street from the shoot. How many should we expect? Clutch, 2few, sprocket, who else is in?
TJC you just stay homeand suck up to the wifey, you'll need your brownie points for the fall hunts in Me, Vt and NB(if we can pull that one off)

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Press release

RGS
451 McCormick Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108
(412) 262-4044
www.ruffedgrousesociety.org

May 24, 2007

For Immediate Release

RGS Fundraiser Family Fun Shoot Right on Target

Proceeds used to restore and protect grouse and woodcock habitat.

The newly formed Merrimack Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society (RGS) will hold a Family Fun Shoot at the Hampton Rod and Gun Club (Atlantic Ave. Rt 111) in North Hampton, NH on Saturday, June 2.

The entry fee for this 50-target trap event is $35, and includes a RGS custom embroidered cap, RGS logo mug and barbecue lunch. Participants can bring a non-shooting guest for an additional $15.

According to Rich Claxton, registration begins with a Continental breakfast at 8:30 a.m. Shooting begins at 10 a.m. Following lunch, a silent auction will be held for more than three-dozen items, highlighted with the finest selection of quality artwork, hunting equipment, clothing, and at least one Kimber shotgun and a CZ Bob White Side x Side 20-gauge shotgun.

For more information, registration and/or directions call Claxton at (603) 679-5771, or by e-mail at

RJClaxton@comcast.net. Or you can call or Mike Noland at (603) 772-1270.

Proceeds from this event will be used to restore and protect grouse and woodcock habitat.

Established in 1961, the Ruffed Grouse Society is the one international wildlife conservation organization dedicated to promoting conditions suitable for ruffed grouse, American woodcock and related wildlife to sustain our sport hunting tradition and outdoor heritage.

Information on the RGS, its mission, management projects and membership can be found on the web at: www.ruffedgrousesociety.org.

Media Contact:

Rich Claxton, (603) 679-5771, RJClaxton@comcast.net

Mike Noland, (603) 772-1270

sprocket
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

In for the afters!

Hey 2Few - you still coming up? Let me know so I can plan.

Picked up a few boxes today so I'm set for the day
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote

----- Original Message -----
To: tim@glassmastersma.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: PM Notification: next weekend

In a message dated 5/29/2007 8:11:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tim@glassmastersma.com writes:
Any directions to the shoot? And I was asked what the format was, 5-stand, skeet, trap, bla bla bla
Thanks for putting the shoot on.
Hi Tim, it's in North Hampton, on Rte 111 (Atlantic Ave.) Right next to a school, it has a rectangular white sign set back a few feet from the road. Targets will be trap and wobble trap, I believe classes will be determined after 50 targets, with some type of shoot off to determine the winners. Thanks for coming.

http://www.hamptonrodgunclub.org/directions.html

sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Well I can certainly tell you all that you missed a very fine event – the Merrimack Valley RGS chapter put on a fine program and it was by all measures a success – those involved should be proud of their efforts. Everyone there was cheerful and excited, even the little kids. It was obvious that many RGS members also are members of the gun club and there was a definite family buzz about things. Registration was quick and painless, both the pint glass and hat will see good use from me.

The shooting side of things was very well executed and several NRA members were there for safety and assistance. Everyone signed up and the first round consisted of one course of “regular” trap and a second of “wobble” trap, each fired from the 18 yard mark. The emphasis was clearly on safety and having fun. Those wishing to shoot low gun could, no handicaps or gauge restrictions at all. It was all about breaking clays using your best means possible. I recall approximately 35 shooters total but I honestly didn’t count. Scoring was done “on a curve” to allow three classes of participants – shooters, hunters and a very tongue-in-cheek fisherman class. The top 5 scores for each class made it to the final round. Once everyone had shot their first round we broke for lunch and the auction portion of the day.

Two grills saw some heavy duty as everyone grazed, relaxed and scoped out the action items. Ranging from guns to framed art to dog gear and accessories galore, the prize locker was well stocked with high quality goods – I’m not too sure where it all came from but it was a nice spread indeed. I personally wrote in a couple bids for a game shear & knife set and a gift for my Dad. The live auction was well run with terrific banter and peanut gallery comments aplenty – cigars were often included with items to entice bidding and it was very effective. It was joked that a man bought a one hundred dollar cigar and got a free prize with it.

Once the tables were cleared and the business end of things was complete the top 5 shooters for each category were announced and it was time to get back on the range. By now the sun had heated up the tarmac to sufficient temps to have the judges shorten the second round to one set of wobble trap. The shooters worked out at the 20 yard mark and the other 2 classes shot from the 16 yard mark.

The Shooters category was taken with a perfect score, the Hunters category was won with a score of 15 out of 25 and the Fisherman category ended with a shoot out from the 20 yard mark, the RGS president won and quickly renamed the category “The Guppies”. Yours truly took the Hunters category and I was surprised to do so having shot only 24 out of 50 in the first round.

As I said before, it was a terrific day overall with great weather and a happy buzz about the whole event. I am looking forward to next years’ event and will try to keep all here informed.

Some personal highlights were meeting many other enthusiastic shooters/hunters, sharing information and tips on trap, shooting and many things birds. I was also very pleased to direct the only other 16 ga. Shooter present to this here site – I hope he shows up and says hi even though I’ve forgotten his name. I laughed when everyone wanted to know what I was shooting after my name was announced as the winner and although I offered everyone a chance to shoot my little Ranger, no one took me up on it.

However, I regret not taking pictures of the grounds, auction items and shooters. You other guys have done a better job than I in this case – I’m not really sure anyone took pictures during the day. I also didn't meet up with any other board members, I think I was the only one from here to make it to the event. Oh well and in the mantra of many Red Sox & Cubs fans, “There’s always next year.”
clutch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I am sorry I missed it. Sounds like you guys had a great time. My daughter had a softball playoff game so I couldn't make it.

I was very intersted in how a "low cost" shoot will work out for RGS financially. I hope they do more of these.
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

You did the right thing Clutch Cool

As for "low cost" I'd say they did very well overall - a modest fee to shoot was easy to pony up - it was the guns and other gear they had at auction that made it hard to sit still...

I suspect they did not sell many RGS memberships but they made a handsome sum on the auction items - for the small amount of people in the room, there was a lot of $$ exchanged for goods.

The shoot was well run and entire day was an immense amount of fun - I'm antsy to get back to the range and get more shooting done too - just because it is such fun.