16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Question: Who would "tree limb" the dove off the w

Tree Limb the Dove?
heck yeah, in a heartbeat, I'm redneck enough
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
no way, I'm a gentleman sportsman
32%
 32%  [ 17 ]
only if I was really hungry
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
maybe if nobody was watching
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
only if I shot bad that day and wanted revenge
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I daresay, old man, this poll is disgraceful!
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
....time for a new picture.... :-)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 52

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

In Vino Veritas Laughing

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
XVI'er
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Nosce te ipsum meus frater.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

XVI'er,

Can't say I recall that line from "Tombstone". Unfortunately, I know myself all too well, my brother Shocked .

Cheers
Marcus

XVI'er
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Marcus, I just had to write that! Wink Laughing Laughing

I never was much of a latin scholar, took more Spanish than any other language.

Great movie, good casting. Red River was one of my many favorites. Wayne, Stewart, and Cooper,were all my favorites. Now Selleck, Elliott, Duvall, and Costner get the nod.

Don't want to turn this thread into a cowboy movie/western thread, do you use the MOJO?
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

XVI'er,

Got lucky on that phrase! I guess you need that Spanish knowledge down there in Texico Confused .

Haven't yet tried the Mojo. I find myself with a flyrod in hand more that time of year so I haven't made much of an investment in decoys.

I definitely agree with your choices of modern western actors, especially Duvall.

All the best
Marcus

jig
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

MOJO? You mean the little clips on the dove dekes that clip on to the telephone wires? Yeah, i've got them - but i just set em up on the wheat stubble as it's much easier to ground sluice them below eye level, rather than looking into the sun. Hey dunc! While you're out in the lot do you ever do any cow tipping? Just curious, sounds like the ideal set-up there. You know, during the mid day lull, just go on out and tip over some beev, or for you and your french mistress, beoufe, as in Baron of Bofe. Wink
britgun
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
MOJO? You mean the little clips on the dove dekes that clip on to the telephone wires? Yeah, i've got them - but i just set em up on the wheat stubble as it's much easier to ground sluice them below eye level, rather than looking into the sun. Hey dunc! While you're out in the lot do you ever do any cow tipping? Just curious, sounds like the ideal set-up there. You know, during the mid day lull, just go on out and tip over some beev, or for you and your french mistress, beoufe, as in Baron of Bofe. Wink

I would tip one of them heifers, but they stay awake with all the shooting and all.... bummer... sometimes you'll whack a pigeon and it'll sail into their pen, but before you can retrieve it, more birds come in so you keep shooting. By the time you climb the fence and get over to it, the heifers have gummed it and slimed it. They gather around it and work it over. It's nasty.....

XVI'er
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:40 am  Reply with quote

No, no, no, my brother. MOJO is a deke that has rotating wings, either wind or battery powered. The flashing of the white wings draw doves in from a long way! Wink

I use the wind powered ones as well as the battery powered ones when it's calm. I use a double set, one mounted high on a cane pole and one mounted low, along with scattered hard body or foam dekes on the ground. Make them like a puddle duck spread, with a landing zone at the rear of the set. Point your dekes into the wind and get ready for action! Very Happy
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I'd make him fly and then down him like a lead ballon. However, I have shot grouse out of a pine tree or two or off the ground BUT only on the last day of the trip (usually 250 or so miles one way ) AND with no other birds taken that trip. ONLY if no other birds taken that trip. I do carry my model 63 S&W .22 for the ground shots though, I need some kind of challenge.If I can make them fly I do, but with my time so short in the woods, if I see grouse under the above conditions, they are history. I'd rathe be hones than seem all high and holy
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
I'd make him fly and then down him like a lead ballon. However, I have shot grouse out of a pine tree or two or off the ground BUT only on the last day of the trip (usually 250 or so miles one way ) AND with no other birds taken that trip. ONLY if no other birds taken that trip. I do carry my model 63 S&W .22 for the ground shots though, I need some kind of challenge.If I can make them fly I do, but with my time so short in the woods, if I see grouse under the above conditions, they are history. I'd rathe be hones than seem all high and holy

Thanks for being real..... did you know that the definition of a real man is simply a man who is real?? Well done.....ruffed grouse is the best bird meat on the planet.... you had to come home with something for the pot.... I understand....

brit

dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 am  Reply with quote

BG,
thanks I appreciate that. Boy I wish septemeber was hera all ready. The weather around Ann Arbor has been cool and cloudy the lats few days, makes me think of early season grouse hunting in the great UP and mid october phesants in the crop fields outside town.
sothere
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:21 am  Reply with quote

I shot a dove off a wire once Twisted Evil .......With a 22 Hornet Surprised Shocked
Was no where to be found when the fire dept.showed up.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

sothere wrote:
I shot a dove off a wire once Twisted Evil .......With a 22 Hornet Surprised Shocked
Was no where to be found when the fire dept.showed up.

....now the truth is starting to come out...... I love it!!

XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Aha! Did you nick the telephone or the electrical wire, my brother outlaw?